Anenome/Coral Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickenman06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a nice size long tentacle anemome (see attached picture) who likes to wander the tank (120 gal reef). I currently have one leather coral (see other attached picture). I want to start adding more corals but am not sure if there will be any problems with my wandering anenome and various hard/soft corals. Any input would be appreciated!

One of the drawbacks to having an anemone. You never know where they will end up next. If the anemone is constantly moving then there is something it's looking for.

Even though you may have all the necessary requirements to keep the anemone, you have not found the right combination. If the lights are good, then I would suspect water flow. Many anemones do not like strong current and will usually avoid it.

What is your current set-up?

I would use caution in adding corals to the tank until you can get the anemone to settle down. They will quite often sting other inhabitants causing irepairable damage. Other times they can actually roost right on top, completely smothering corals.

Is it a Macrodactyla doreensis or a Heteractis magnifica?

Cheers
Steve

Tanks a 120 gal w/ 2-400w 10,000k MH +2-125w VHO Acintic, Ecosystem mud sump w/1100gph return, 2 300gph PH on opposite sides. about 280lbs LR. The anenome was one of the first additions to the tank along with "his" Clarks clown. He tends to stay in the same general area and will settle in for a week or two then move a few feet for a week or two then back........all chemistry good. Rest of inhabitants Leather Coral, Yellow Tang (sm), Flame Angel, 2 - Chromis, 2 - ocellus (SP?) clowns (tiny), misc snails/hermits clean-up crew. Not sure of the exact type of anenome.

Greg

2 300gph PH on opposite sides.

How are they positioned relative to the area the anemone is generally located?

I have a strong feeling it's movement has much to do with the "flow" of the tank. These types of anemone's prefer to bury their foot and the right spot might be inbetween the two "normal" places but there is no crevace for the foot. It might also be as simple as angling the powerhead slightly.

They prefer gentle motion on the tentacle areas but not on the foot or retractor muscle.

It's a bit of a guessing game with these guys but I hope I have given you a few idea's.

Cheers
Steve

One PH is on the right side of the tank facing center-left, the other is back left side of tank facing center/right. Both are behind the "reef" in the upper 1/4 of the tank and the anenome hangs out in front of the reef on the botton right of tank so foot is in calm and tentacles get some movement. It almost seems to like to move more towards current than away!

Greg

If it tends to move toward the water flow, you might try adding a small power head that is lower in the tank relative to the anemone....

Won't cost much and if it works will be money well spent. A small RIO might do the trick and won't be that noticable...

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom