angel vs angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evenings

Aquarium Advice Activist
our Coral Beauty has been terrorizing our Flame angel. Its been over a year now that the tank is running and we have never encountered anything like this. All fish were getting along just fine.. and still do.. just the coral beauty is now always after the flame.

Flame angel is now in a little cave inside a rock. we can see it inside just looking around. its afraid to come out. Coral beauty is always around the cave to make sure the flame doesnt come out.

I sometimes have to over feed a little to make sure some food reaches the cave. Flame will come out to eat but quickly gets chased away. whats happening?

I'm not sure if you're saying that the 2 angels have been together for over a year, but dwarf angels don't really get along. I've heard horror stories about your very situation, a flame and a coral beauty. In a larger tank it might work, but In a 65gallon, it's probably just not enough territory to go around. You may want to bring one of them back to your lfs.

It also seems a little crowded in your tank by looking at your fish list - that may not be helping either. Just my opinion. 2 tangs, 5 angels may be pushing it, but someone with more experience may be able to chime in on that.

- Skins

thing is I have 100 lbs of rock.. plenty of caves and places to hide. this is all new activity. for over a year they got along.

I've noticed the same behavior with our angels. We've had one (Blackie) since we started our tank and added two more (Pearly and White Fins) about a month and a half later. were being bullied by Blackie for a while, then they got a lot bigger and the situation has turned a complete 180. We had the same problem with Blackie hiding inside a cave but seems like it is dealing with the dominance and is better. I know we have different types of tanks (yours being salt water and mine's fresh) but it just might be a small case of domination. If the problem doesn't stop soon, you may need to separate the two.

i cant think of parting with either fish. I love all my fish. Having this tank for over a year and not having any saltwater experience, they have all gone through this experience with me and have all survived. If i remember correctly the flame angel was the second or third fish we bought. Coral beauty is my girlfriends favorite. both fish look healthy and look beautiful. what can I do?

"Angels will be angels". You can try re-arranging the LR to see if that helps. Otherwise, one may need to go.

as fish get older, they tend to get more territorial. My prediction is that this will only get worse. As was mentioned before, your tank is just not large enough for the hostility to not happen. With luck, the rock re arranging will help for a time.

Hara said:
as fish get older, they tend to get more territorial. My prediction is that this will only get worse. As was mentioned before, your tank is just not large enough for the hostility to not happen. With luck, the rock re arranging will help for a time.

things have gotten worst now. I came home today from work only to see her near the top of the tank in a beaten state. Looks like every fish in the tank took their turn.

I separated her by placing a small overflow like box. for now she is just in there somewhat resting. Looks like she doesnt even have the energy to swim. all her fins are gone and she looks really beat up. I feel so bad.

these were taken with my camera phone.
i feel so bad.
photo074ru.jpg
photo089jg.jpg

photo092jh.jpg

I dont know what to do at this point. Im going to try my best to save her.

HELP !

Do you have or can you spring for a small 10-15 gallon hospital tank? If you can do this, you could nurse her back to health and maybe find a new home for her.
With the current situation, she is definately in trouble.
An otherwise strong fish can recover rather quickly, but I would take action...soon.

have to end this thread on a sad note. I woke up this morning and well.. she didnt make it. Ill miss my flame angel. she was beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom