anyone know what this is?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marinefishys

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi i noticed all these horribke lil bugs around my starfish today and my anemones and torch coral has closed up about to check the waters now but plz help!!!!!

ForumRunner_20130307_193446.jpg

ForumRunner_20130307_193506.jpg

Hard to tell from the picture but my guess would be pods, which are not only harmless, but beneficial. Google copepods and amphiboles and see if that's what you're seeing. Corals close up for various reasons, not all of them bad. When you have water parameters, post them here.

Hard to tell from the picture but my guess would be pods, which are not only harmless, but beneficial. Google copepods and amphiboles and see if that's what you're seeing. Corals close up for various reasons, not all of them bad. When you have water parameters, post them here.

Its hard to tell mate their only about 1-2 ml n it looks like its eating the starfish crawling in and out :( could it b larver!! c if you can see it better in this pic and what parameters should i check thnx dude

ForumRunner_20130307_195853.jpg

ForumRunner_20130307_195916.jpg

ForumRunner_20130307_195944.jpg

Calcium 420 magnesium 1440 alkalinity 9.5 nitrate 3 thnx mate

Those are def pods. They are helpful...though I'd be concerned about your starfish...it just looks odd to me. Has it been sitting like that long/moving?

Those are def pods. They are helpful...though I'd be concerned about your starfish...it just looks odd to me. Has it been sitting like that long/moving?

Ye he was fine untill today moving around eating but hes curled up badly today n looks like hes dieng whats the best method to try saving him or do u know what ive done wrong this was him yesterday and day before

ForumRunner_20130307_225847.jpg

ForumRunner_20130307_225919.jpg

Yes, it's dying and there's nothing you can do. Your tank looks awful new for such a sensitive creature. the pods are just cleaning up the mess.

Yes, it's dying and there's nothing you can do. Your tank looks awful new for such a sensitive creature. the pods are just cleaning up the mess.

So i just gota let the poor thing die :( the tanks been running for 5 months now and i was told he would have been fine

I have seen people keep them with success, but I've seen many more that melted away. I don't know what the reason is. It could be poor collection practices, poor acclimation, parameter issues...etc. That's correct. There's nothing you can do once the flesh starts falling off and turning to mush.

You can take it to your fish store to spare its life and make some money back.

You can take it to your fish store to spare its life and make some money back.

I dnt care bout getting mny for it id happily give him away if it ment saving his life his name was Bob :( thnx tho guys its weird he just curled up today n he looks in bad way within a few hours

Nothing will save that now. Taking it to the store you got it from won't help it. Not to mention the fact that they would be completely foolish to give any money for a melting starfish.

Loli didn't know the condition was that bad, I just thought he was showing bad signs.

Oh we'll R.I.P bob.

Correct me if I am wrong but blue linka sea stars are hard to keep and need a very established system. They are beautiful but hard to keep alive

The problem withe most stars is that we aren't 100% sure what they eat. So the "mature tank" guideline is essentially assuming that in a mature tank that a) parameters will be stable and b) what they eat will have grown. But linkia stars are harder than many.

To add to that I believe the only stars that are somewhat easy to keep are serpent/brittle stars and chocolate chip stars. All the rest are difficult.

Back
Top Bottom