Apitaisa outbreaks remedy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO I wouldn't add a butterfuly or any other animal just to solve a problem thta is caused by something else. Numerous people have used a product called Joe's Juice with great success.

I added 2 peppermint shrimp recently with hopes they would work on my aiptasia. I had a huge one that I figured I would have to take care of manually for sure but it dissappeared.

The peppermints did their job :)

ellisz said:
I added 2 peppermint shrimp recently with hopes they would work on my aiptasia. I had a huge one that I figured I would have to take care of manually for sure but it dissappeared.

The peppermints did their job :)

Adding a few peppermints could be a good idea, I just personally wouldn't add a copperband just to remedy another problem. Copperbands can be a pretty tough fish to keep.

Yeah, peppermints are the best solution imo. They are easy to keep after the aiptasia is gone, and they're really inexpensive.

Copperband

I have aptasias in my tank, and got a Copperband to eat them, and b/c they are an attractive. Unfortunately, the Copperband died. It seemed really agitated, but ate well for two days, and was dead on the third. It never ate any aptasia to my knowledge. It mainly ate copepods, and picked at things on the live rock.

I have a had a hard time finding peppermint shrimp here. I have never seen a shrimp of any sort in any of our LFS stores. I have seen Coral Banded Shrimp while diving in Ka'anapali, but they have never appealed to me, nor do they eat aptasia.

The lemon juice works well But I was told that it still spits out spores before it dies so you just make matters worse. Is this true?? I bought stop aptasias and they seemed to like the meal.. Total waste of money.. I think I am going to try the turkey baster idea and try to suck them off the rock...

reefobsessed said:
I think I am going to try the turkey baster idea and try to suck them off the rock...
I wouldn't recommend that unless you want to propagate them 8O

Aips reproduce quite quickly through tissue separation. Any part of them that breaks free will develope into a new (or several more) pest.

Cheers
Steve

Well the copperband is ok in the 75 gall setup, and is picking at the rocks, either at baby spore's of apitaisia or coepods. Was told by expeireanced refers that they will help, and one true testimonial. The fish is only a week old and is eating. I also have 6 peppermints but is overwhelming to them. will try Joes Juice have tried other apitasia kill fluid and boiling water. Ive also desingned a 3/9v battery shocker and long vhf ribbon cable with Radio Shack parts and burning them Bastards all is not working right now and problem is getting horrific as to epidemic proportion's! the shocker has no effect on sensitive corals and is pretty cool to watch them smoke away (apitaisa) but may be releasing spores further study on this test is necessary (And still in proto type stage)

What is Joe's Juice?

What is Joe's Juice? Or should I be afraid to ask? Remember this is a family forum. :p

Re: What is Joe's Juice?

blancoh2o said:
What is Joe's Juice?
A relatively new product to the market that has very possitive results in ridding tanks of aiptasia. You can check it out at their website http://joesjuice.com

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom