Arrow Crab - Broken Legs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scdc46

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I came home today to an almost legless Arrow Crab. It only has 1 leg left, and it's not one of his 2 pincher claws that he uses to feed.

Any opinions on what to do? He's still alive, so I hate to call it quits unless there's absolutely no help for him.

All opinions and advices are welcome !!!

As long as it can feed it may yet survive to the next molt and regrow new appendages. The issue here is why did they disappear in the fisrt place? What fish/inverts do you have?

Cheers
Steve

I have a yellow tang, barbed golby, percula clown, pigmy angel, skunk cleaner shrimp, a bunch of small crabs (like scarlet crabs) and snails... I think that's it.

Thanks for the information.

If I'm to isolate the crab, what do I need for a cheap isolation solution. I have a 5 gallon bucket that he's in right now with no flow. Just needed to take him out of the tank.

scdc46 said:
I have a yellow tang, barbed golby, percula clown, pigmy angel, skunk cleaner shrimp, a bunch of small crabs (like scarlet crabs) and snails... I think that's it.
Nothing stands out there as a culprit. Did you mean bar goby?

If I'm to isolate the crab, what do I need for a cheap isolation solution. I have a 5 gallon bucket that he's in right now with no flow. Just needed to take him out of the tank.
Isolation is fine but you need some sort of water movement for aeration, a heater and something to help with nitrification. A basic QT set up would be good. Be sure to mintor the nitrogens as well.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=17

Cheers
Steve

I was told it's a barbed golby. Picture has been attached.

Attachments

• barbed_golby.jpg
    barbed_golby.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 157
It's actually "barred". It also goes by the common name zebra goby aka Ptereleotris zebra.

Cheers
Steve

I have an arrow crab that lost a limb too, at the middle joint. After the next molting the entire leg was gone.

It hasn't seemed to affect his ability to get around or climb anything in site.

Do they really regrow?

Yes the legs will regrow. I have a sallylightfoot crab that lost two legs and a couple weeks later they were back.

I have had several shrimp have this happen. I've also noticed missing antennae, and then they get black spots on the ends of the missing appendages. Is this bacterial? Or fungal? My crabs all seem fine, although I know I have at least one agressor in the tank, I've noticed holes in the fins of my juvenile sailfin tang, and in the fins of the jeweled blenny. These holes heal within two days, max., but are rather alarming when they appear. This happens during day time hours as well.

Back
Top Bottom