asterina starfish eating coral!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
So of course I believe I have the asterina starfish that eat corals. About 2 weeks ago I got some frags an out then in my tank. I thought my gsp were just getting acclimated and and were a little stressed that’s why they weren’t opening. Then saw some stars on top of the frag but didn’t think anything of it. Until one day I woke up and it was completely decimated. The rest of the frags don’t seem bothered. The birds nest actually has opened more since I got it and seems to be doing fairly well. I have a harlequin shrimp that seems to be slowly taking care of the stars. Any advice? It must be the stars right? My calcium is a little high but I didn’t think that it would devastate gsp so quickly as they are supposed to be “impossible to kill” but then again that is my luck! My levels are:
Calcium - 580
Ammonia - 0
Phosphate - 0.25
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite- 0
PH - 8.0
KH - 5° or 89.5 ppm KH

IMG_4557.jpg

IMG_4558.jpg

IMG_4559.jpg

I don't believe in these stars consuming coral in our home aquariums personally. I know many believe they do, but when we introduce frags into our systems it brings new algae and bacteria into a system that knows what everything already tastes like... So, it is really exciting when new foods show up, be it algae, bacteria, dead tissue...whatever. Then, if the frag doesn't make it for whatever reason...there is the starfish doing the starfish's job to 'get caught red handed'.
If you had GSP vanish...this is a very hardy coral, but I've never heard of anything outside of a rare nudibranch to eat the stuff. The birds nest doing better tells me that there was a parameter swing towards what it likes, probably alkalinity leveling out. Polyp corals really don't like alk swings and will just 'melt' away when this happens. I'd be a lot more comfortable looking at a young tank still adjusting to its life than carnivorous starfish. The cyano in the pictures leads me to believe this to be the case. The answer is stability. Do your weekly water changes, keep things pristine. Things will work out. The key is taking it slow and not throwing money at problems as they arise, as they are mostly not problems but confused as such.

+1 to what hank said on the starfish. What test kit are you using? 5dkh is really low and .25 phosphate is pretty high. What salt mix are you using?

+1 to what hank said on the starfish. What test kit are you using? 5dkh is really low and .25 phosphate is pretty high. What salt mix are you using?

I’m using instant ocean but was thinking about switching to coral pro salt. I use the API reef master kit

I don't believe in these stars consuming coral in our home aquariums personally. I know many believe they do, but when we introduce frags into our systems it brings new algae and bacteria into a system that knows what everything already tastes like... So, it is really exciting when new foods show up, be it algae, bacteria, dead tissue...whatever. Then, if the frag doesn't make it for whatever reason...there is the starfish doing the starfish's job to 'get caught red handed'.
If you had GSP vanish...this is a very hardy coral, but I've never heard of anything outside of a rare nudibranch to eat the stuff. The birds nest doing better tells me that there was a parameter swing towards what it likes, probably alkalinity leveling out. Polyp corals really don't like alk swings and will just 'melt' away when this happens. I'd be a lot more comfortable looking at a young tank still adjusting to its life than carnivorous starfish. The cyano in the pictures leads me to believe this to be the case. The answer is stability. Do your weekly water changes, keep things pristine. Things will work out. The key is taking it slow and not throwing money at problems as they arise, as they are mostly not problems but confused as such.

Thank you. That’s definitely a lot to take in it you’re probably right. Water changes will be key. I need to be patient! Definitely something I struggle with.

Ok if your going to get into corals you should invest in some quality test kits ( these may be out of date I hope not) like Red Sea, salefirt, or Hannah checkers for calc, alk, nitrate and phosphate, mag too if you plan on sps heavy. The api kits are really only accurate enough to cycle with in sw systems unfortunately.

The API test kits outside of the master test kit are pretty garbage. I wouldn't trust the readings you are getting for them.
So, keep it simple. Water changes. There isn't even a need to be testing for those levels when you have a couple frags in all reality. Once the cyano goes away and the basics level out and stay constant, then things will thrive as they are supposed to.

Ok if your going to get into corals you should invest in some quality test kits ( these may be out of date I hope not) like Red Sea, salefirt, or Hannah checkers for calc, alk, nitrate and phosphate, mag too if you plan on sps heavy. The api kits are really only accurate enough to cycle with in sw systems unfortunately.

I see the Red Sea is the cheaper and Hanna obviously way more expensive. Do you recommend a specific one? Is hanna really worth it if Ted see is testing for the same thing. Could it be more accurate?

The API test kits outside of the master test kit are pretty garbage. I wouldn't trust the readings you are getting for them.
So, keep it simple. Water changes. There isn't even a need to be testing for those levels when you have a couple frags in all reality. Once the cyano goes away and the basics level out and stay constant, then things will thrive as they are supposed to.

So I was using the reef master kid. I’m going to continue with heavy water changes and possibly switch up the salt that I am using. I’m also going to take my water to get tested at my LFS tomorrow and see what they say. I would like to have more than a couple of frags eventually obviously so I would like to be able to test for levels myself but, and I could be wrong but, $300+ for a test kit seems outright ridiculous.

I see the Red Sea is the cheaper and Hanna obviously way more expensive. Do you recommend a specific one? Is hanna really worth it if Ted see is testing for the same thing. Could it be more accurate?

Well I’m just getting back into the reef game myself for the first time in a while and I plan on purchasing the hannah nitrate and phosphate checkers and the Red Sea foundation kit. I really only test phosphate and nitrate regularly and the Hannah’s are easier to use IMO, and I like to have the elements kit to test monthly or every other. So $150 which seems like a lot until you think about coral prices, I’m sure I’ll have 20x that in coral in my 20 cube so to me it’s definitely worth it

The Hanna uln phosphate kit is really the only viable phosphate kit in the hobby. All the titration kits don’t test low enough imo. Salifert and Red Sea work well for alk, calcium, mag, nitrates and ph though. Birdsnest is a fantastic indicator coral. If your alk swings or phosphate spikes it’ll be the first thing to die lol. In this case I’m gonna say you possibly have had a phosphate spike being the tanks newer and it would explain your gsp kinda melting.

Well I’m just getting back into the reef game myself for the first time in a while and I plan on purchasing the hannah nitrate and phosphate checkers and the Red Sea foundation kit. I really only test phosphate and nitrate regularly and the Hannah’s are easier to use IMO, and I like to have the elements kit to test monthly or every other. So $150 which seems like a lot until you think about coral prices, I’m sure I’ll have 20x that in coral in my 20 cube so to me it’s definitely worth it

You’re right it seems like a lot but in the long run it’s probably worth it. Especially with the amount of corals I would like to keep eventually

The Hanna uln phosphate kit is really the only viable phosphate kit in the hobby. All the titration kits don’t test low enough imo. Salifert and Red Sea work well for alk, calcium, mag, nitrates and ph though. Birdsnest is a fantastic indicator coral. If your alk swings or phosphate spikes it’ll be the first thing to die lol. In this case I’m gonna say you possibly have had a phosphate spike being the tanks newer and it would explain your gsp kinda melting.

Okay well thankfully the birds nest is still with me [emoji23] The only thing to do for phosphate spike is water change correct?

LFS tested the water and all my levels were good except for alkalinity! Will be raising with a Kent buffer and hopefully that fixes the issue nice and simple… hopefully

IMG_4562.jpg

Alk is definitely low. Raise slowly 1dkh per day. Your phosphate is concerning too. Is that .4? It should ideally be .1 or lower. They may just not have a good enough tester for it though

I agree with the others. Through the years I have had hundreds of asternia stars in my tank with no problems. I also agree with Hank on dosing. Through 18 years of reefing I have never dosed. Frequent PWC's will most times be good.

Back
Top Bottom