Auriga Butterfly not eating and twiching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robocop

Aquarium Advice Activist
I’ve had my Auriga Butterfly fish for almost two weeks now. It’s not eating any food I’ve put in the tank (frozen Brine&Mysid shrimp, Frozen Formula Two, Spirulinua Flakes, garlic soaked seaweed). It has survived this long so I’m guessing it’s eating the algae in the tank. My water conditions are fine and there are not other fish in the tank. It does not act shy because it will charge after the food but will not eat it. I’ve noticed it has this twitching motion that it does every now and then. I think it darts also, I’m not sure because it sometimes does it only when it’s around my cleaner shrimps who jump all over it. The are no visible signs of disease and it looks healthy so far.

Any idea on what could cause the twitch and possible darting?
How can I get this thing to eat? I’m currently hatching some live brine shrimp but that’s going to take some time before they are big enough to eat.

Can you give us some info about your tank? Specifically:

Tank size
LR? How much?
Water Parameters:
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH
Salinity
Temp
How did you acclimate the fish?
Was he eating in the LFS when you bought it?

If you can help us out with those questions we should be able to help you solve your issue.

Just a note, butterflies are typically difficult to get eating. The live brine is a good idea and hopefully will help.

tripper

Without knowing any of the pervious mentioned items (tank size, levels, etc), one would think it sounds like the beginning stages of Ich (darting, not eating). Usually, fish with Ich tend to make a darting motion to itch themselves. If the ich is well along, then the fish tend not to eat, but you said there were no signs of disease, then it's hard to tell. But usually darting is associated with Parasites (Ich, Chilodonella, Oodinium, Gill parasites, etc.)

Will try to make a better assessment once you post more info.

Tank size 90gal
LR? How much? 120
Water Parameters:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
pH 8.1
Salinity 1.022
Temp 79
How did you acclimate the fish? Float 15min pour tank water in the bag until full, QT 2wks
Was he eating in the LFS when you bought it? Bought online, did eat when first arrived

If you can help us out with those questions we should be able to help you solve your issue.

Just a note, butterflies are typically difficult to get eating. The live brine is a good idea and hopefully will help.

tripper

Hmmmmm, from the sounds of it, all tank specs seem in order. It might just be the fish adjusting to the tank. You said it was in QT for 2 weeks. How long ago was it added to the main tank? If very recently, it might just be adjusting. Did you do the same acclimation when going from the QT to the main?

tripper

It was added to the tank last week. Acclimation was not the same, just put it in the tank. Figured 100% of the water came from the main tank and the specs were the same. I saw it scratch it self on the rocks last night. Still not eating.

How long can it go with out eating?

The fish can go up to 2 weeks without eating. It's not suggested, but it can survive. If it's starting to scratch on the rocks, you might be looking at the onset of ich. However, if you have not seen any signs, you could potentially be looking at velvet.

Is the fish in QT right now?

The best advice I can give right now is to PM steve-s. He can advise you on the best way to medicate if in fact it is necessary.

tripper

Back
Top Bottom