Baby Hippo Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awillemd1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased a very small Hippo Tang about 3 weeks ago. He has acclimated extremely well and he seems to behave and eat well. I have seen him eating Caulerpa, Nori and flake food. He is only about 1.5 inches long. I noticed recently, but he may have had this all along, that he has some white lines on him near where he poops. He seems to have them on both sides and I don't know if they are exactly the same on both sides. My question is, is this normal? The lines look like they could be some type of worm or parasite, but I guess finding out if they are symmetrical would help a lot. I can take pictures if that is needed.

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Willem

awillemd1 said:
I can take pictures if that is needed.
That would definately help. FWIW, parasite activity is not typically symmetrical. What color/consistancy have the feces been?

Cheers
Steve

I am really afraid I might have lost him. :( I came home from work today and he was nowhere to be found. What is weird is that none of my scavengers seemed to have him, i.e. my starfish, lobster, or hermit crabs. I am guessing he is sick and hiding in my rocks. Up until today he has been very active, eating well and behaving normally.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures, but I am sure I saw the same general thing on both sides.

Willem

awillemd1 said:
I am really afraid I might have lost him. :( I came home from work today and he was nowhere to be found. What is weird is that none of my scavengers seemed to have him, i.e. my starfish, lobster, or hermit crabs. I am guessing he is sick and hiding in my rocks. Up until today he has been very active, eating well and behaving normally.
Unfortunately this is somewhat common with small newly collected Regals. They do not generally transition well into captive care. It is more than possible it has lodged itself somewhere in the rockwork but given the type of invert predators you have, it wouldn't take them long to devour such a small fish. Especially the lobster.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures, but I am sure I saw the same general thing on both sides.
I couldn't even venture a guess without some more info or a pic. About the only thing I can suggest is be sure you what all the current fish (if any?) for similar signs or new symptoms. If you decide on a new Regal, please try to get one closer to 2-2½". It can often make all the difference in the world.

Acclimating to a properly cycled QT instead of the main would also be a plus :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Steve-s:

Thanks. I'm really sad about this one.:( I actually have a qt tank, but since I got him directly from the distributor, i.e. he never went into my lfs tanks, I thought I didn't need to qt him. Also, he seemed so healthy and like he was acclimating extremely well.

I will make sure I get a larger one next time.

Thanks for the advice.

Willem

awillemd1 said:
but since I got him directly from the distributor, i.e. he never went into my lfs tanks, I thought I didn't need to qt him.
Fish collectors and distributors use communal holding systems just like the LFS does, albeit somewhat different. The chances of the fish carrying in a problem is no less significant.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom