Badly hurt BTA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sgtrlgrl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a rose anemone, its been here about a month I think. No clown living it in. I moved it because it wasn't bulbed up, just long tenicales. Any how, it started moving toward my 2 corals and I thought it would kill them so I moved it back. I moved it at first because I knew it was eating fine and was told by a friend that it would have long tenacles and stretch out if the light was too weak. I have a 55gal with Ho 10 k lights and 2 actinic lights. I moved it the second time because I thought it would attack the corals, a hammerhead and a torch. Any how when I moved it back the original location where it had been fine the rocks had moved so it wasn't settled in. I didn't know the cover the power head and it got sucked in the intake vents. the foot looks okay but the tenacles, except for the tiniest newest ones, are all torn off. Can the anemone be saved, any special medicine? And is there danger to my other animals from the waste of the tenacles?

Welcome to Aquariumadvice.com :)

If the foot, retractor muscle and oral disc are undamaged; there a pretty good chance the anemone may recover. It will greatly depend on how good your water parameters are though. An anemone needs very well maintain water quality to do well, an injured one needs even better. I would highly recommend a series of water changes over the next week to be sure there is not extra DOC/nutrient that can hinder it's recovery. Ensure the new SW is well aged/aerated before using.

Two things you need to do for sure though, stop moving the anemone and be sure you get the intakes pretected.

I have a 55gal with Ho 10 k lights and 2 actinic lights.

Are these PC, T5 or VHO and what intensity?

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, its 4 t5 HO 10ks, and 2 actinic t5 HO's. We can add 2 more t5 if we want. Believe each one is 54 watts.
I'll start with the water changes.

Will a bulb tip anemone hurt the corals? I also have a galaxia that I know is aggressive and a colt coral.

sgtrlgrl said:
Thanks, its 4 t5 HO 10ks, and 2 actinic t5 HO's.
That's actually a decent amount of light for this species. You can add the extra but it's not needed just for the BTA.

Will a bulb tip anemone hurt the corals? I also have a galaxia that I know is aggressive and a colt coral.
Both to some degree. It's not just the damage to each others close proximity/direct contact but also the chemical warfare going on that you can't see. This will often affect the life of the whole tank. I would highly recommend you use carbon on a regular basis if not 24/7. Many LPS/soft corals and anemones produce a fair amount of toxins as well as nematocysts, the carbon will help keep them out of the water column.

If the anemone settles in an area too close to a coral, moving the coral is more advantageous where possible. There's a good chance the enemone will stay put. Coral's don't wander :wink:

An anemone that won't settle down is usually due to two main reasons, lighting and water flow (directional mostly). Given the lighting you have, I'm inclined to suspect it doesn't like something about the flow in certain spots.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom