Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2017, 08:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to fishboy89
Bamboo Shark injury help

I have a 4 year old bamboo shark that developed or received a deep wound on his nose, about 3 weeks ago. It normarlly lives in a 700 gallon aq with two other bamboo sharks and two large horseshoe crabs. I suspect that the wound is from the pump intake - screen was off for one day, but it could have been caused by the horseshoe crabs too, but they have lived together for over a year without any problems. I moved the shark into a hospital tank - 50 gallons with a wet/dry sump and protein skimmer - and have been treating the tank with 10 ml of Melafix a day, and the wound is shrinking, but not very fast. The two pictures were taken four days apart and shrinkage of the red area can be seen. The shark is eating and reacts when someone is near by, so that is good. I am wondering if I should just continue with the treatment or switch to something else. Someone suggested Baytril, but I am nervous about switching with out some advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shark 2-24-17-339 pm.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	295706   Click image for larger version

Name:	shark 2-28-17-10pm.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	295707  

Old 03-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'm far from an expert here, but you can see just from your two pictures that the injury is healing. Whatever is currently going on with the shark in its current environment seems to be doing what is needed to heal. Moving the shark can cause additional and unnecessary stress, so if it will heal on its own let it. I would keep a close eye on it. If things get worse, then you will need to do some type of QT setup to treat the injury.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bamboo, injury, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com