Banded snake eel possible air bubble or bacterial infection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbokerlund

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a banded snake eel at the feed store I work at that I'm honestly is surprised is still alive. I'm just starting out working in the fish dept and am still totally a novice. Anyways since no one seems to care about this poor eel that has been sitting back in our sick tank for a few months now and before that was on the sales floor suffering (only was put in back so customers wouldn't seem him) I've decided to be the one to help him. So here's what I know.
1) Had him for probably 6 months now
2) Sales floor tanks are perfect in ranges. (Salinity, pH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite) so I know it didn't have anything to do with that. The sick tank however is constnantly a problem. Its really too small for what we need but we all know how cheap businesses can be. (Salinity, ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite always seem to be on the high side despite water changes and even adding chemicals ((amquel out of desperation)).
3) Won't eat anything. One of the other girls said she got him to eat brine shrimp and krill a couple weeks ago but I highly doubt it because I can't get him even mildly interested.
4) Typically just lays on his side with midsection floating up, breathing heavily. Occasionally swims around. I've also seen him bury himself in the crushed coral.
5) Two possible things that have been brought up is that he has a air bubble stuck (hence the floating midsection) and/or a bacterial infection.

So there it is. Bare with me and how little I know. But that's why I'm here to learn and to help this guy. Thanks for any advice you may have.

Back
Top Bottom