Bangaii Cardinalfish--Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bert

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I introduced 2 Bangaii Cardinalfish into my FOWLR on Saturday. The tank also has 2 clowns and some inverts. I have yet to observe them eat. Tonight I found one BC dead behind a rock. I fear that I will lose the other. Any suggestions re: feeding. I have been offering them mysis shrimp (frozen).

Thanks

mine eat brine shrimp frozen...however if they wont eat prepared foods try like live tubifix worms or daphnia to get them to eat

How did you acclimate?
Try some variety of flake and frozen. Also you can try and lace the food with some garlic juice. Has been known to spur a feeding response.

Thanks for the input. I acclimated as follows: pair in bag in tank for 30 minutes....slowly added a cup of water periodically. Added the pair into the tank after approximately 90 minutes.

I almost have the same set up. Just put 2 clowns and 1 B. Cardinal in last week. I'm getting another Cardinal tomorrow night to keep the other one company. The cardinal does seem shy when it comes to feeding. I give the clowns flake food first, and then after 10 minutes, I add thawed out frozen brine shrimp for the Cardinal. He doesn't seem to be an agressive eater tho.

Mike

have had no experience with BC's although as with all fish that dont seem to be eating.. I believe variety will generally get them onto feeding. Food enhancers will also stimulate hunger.. Zoe/Garlic etc..

Do you have any idea how long they were at the LFS before you got them. I have always thought of Bangai Cards in the same category as green chromis or Flame Angels: If they have just come in to the LFS it is going to be hit or miss as far as the health of the animal over the first couple of days, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Banggai are pretty delicate shippers and it can be tricky to get them to eat...it is also common for them to hide out for a few days. Mine refuse all forms of food except for the mysis and brine. You might try some brine and soak in garlic as previously suggested.

Sadly, I lost both BC...fortunately the LFS has a 7 day guarantee. The owner said that only 1 of 5 BC survived in his reef tank at the store, so I didn't feel so bad. I hope to try again sometime...perhaps my tank is not mature enough yet (6 weeks), although all tests were perfect. I did bring home a sharp Flame Angel 2 days ago, and he is doing well. Thanks to all for help.

One of my BCs bit the dust too. Got sucked up the Hagen 802 PH. I had the inflow nozzles attached which prevneted me from seeing the BC inside.

I've since deep sixed the nozzles and have ordered another BC. At $10 they''re cheap.

BTW, it seems the BC likes frozen brine. The P. Clowns like flake and the Bannerfish like frozen Formula One

Mike

Back
Top Bottom