Basslet with white spots - pictures - thoughts? Fungal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Albindia

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there - I noticed my basslet has little white spots on him. Any idea what this may be? Fungal disease? These pics aren't the greatest but you can kind of see the spots.

Attachments

• image-3354987227.jpg
    image-3354987227.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 115
  • image-2069561057.jpg
    image-2069561057.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 123
  • image-1313351507.jpg
    image-1313351507.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 118
  • image-2491224542.jpg
    image-2491224542.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 123
Gosh darn- from everything I read on other posts, looks like it may be Ich - what a pain. Can anyone confirm based on the pics?

If I quarantine the fish that appears to have ich for six weeks, and no other fish in the dt shows signs of Ich attaching on to them, is it safe to say the ich didn't make it through its life cycle in the dt?

Just keep an eye out incase a tiny piece of ich scraped off ona Rock and another fish ate it or its still hanging around waiting to be picked up I have a product by kardon called ich attack says reef safe

This is it

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130125_212641.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130125_212641.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 108
Hmmm- does that go in the QT? im hesitant to use chemicals on the fish. I've read that UV lights can contain the Ich..know anything about that??

I'm always hesitant on chemicals in the tank but ige used this before not on corals tho just shrimps and snails like that and they were fine

Hmmm- does that go in the QT? im hesitant to use chemicals on the fish. I've read that UV lights can contain the Ich..know anything about that??

What to you mean by the UV containing Ich? UV, if set up properly, can eliminate some of the free-floating Ich, but not all of it will be floating in your tank.

Hyposalinity or copper in QT cure Ich, but the 6-8 week fallow tank is the way to be sure nothing is in the DT when you add your fish back.

This is it

I used this. Worked for me. Knock on wood haven't had it since. Prolly been two years. It's not really a chemical they way way we thing (I.e. calcium supplement), I think it's more to help the fish combat it then eradicate the ich itself.

You can smell the garlic in it, for sure. :)

Sad news - the basslet with ICH died this morning. Wasn't expecting it to happen that fast- is that typical?

I only have two clowns in the tank now, assuming they don't get white spots in the next 30 days is it safe to say the tank is ICH free??

I agree with Sniper...I think its like 60-75 days, but its usually around 60 days without a host. The thing is, if you have fish still in the tank that had Ich, you have multiple host possibilities. My understanding is that you may not always see the Ich, as it can get into the gils and eventually kill the fish without making any outside appearance. Just because you don't see white spots for 60 days does not mean it can't still be alive in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom