beat up powder brown tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceandelight

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had this powder brown tang forever it seems like. him and my other fish caught ich so we did the whole 8 weeks QT and leaving the main empty so now he has been in the main tank for about 2-3 weeks and all of a sudden the first week he has breaks in his dorsal fin and some pieces missing in his pec. fins so that pretty much healed up and i woke up this morning and he has a very very tiny scratch on his side and a break in his tail fin. what is going on here? no one is picking on him. he has plenty of room to swim being in a 150gal tank and he is only 3-4 in long. did he just forget how to swim in a tank with live rock in it? none of my other fish have any problem at all no scratches no breaks in there fins. i feed him algae every other day and bloodworms, mysis, or brine the other days and everything is soaked in zoecon garlic and zoe so he should have all the nutrients he needs and he heals fine but what is happening to him?

Is it possible he is being picked on during the night? Perhaps he is scratching himself during the evenings? You don't have any crabs or something like that which could sneak up on him do you at night?

there are crabs in my tank but i think we have gotten rid of all the evil ones the only crabs i have in there now pretty much just eat algae or detritus but he doesn't really sleep. he swims pretty much all night usually in the rocks. so i don't think it is any crabs especially since all my other fish are fine and some of them do sleep and none of them have a scratch on them

in my tank currently i have:

powder brown tang
desjardine tang
heni black and white butterfly fish
orange diamond back goby
Pink & Blue Shrimpgoby

I am amazed at how quick his fins heal today he looks like completely normal the little scratch is gone and the split in his fin is gone.

Back
Top Bottom