Black bugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parsons328

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I have placed a new montipora spongodes in my tank. It was doing great for a week then I noticed the polyps weren't extending anymore. Upon closer inspection I found black bugs crawling over the base. I was wondering what the best dip would be to kill these pest before they spread to my other monti's. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447165301.922833.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't know of any black bugs that eat sps. The coral in the picture looks fine to me. Can you take a macro image of the coral? Pick it up and move it close to the glass.
Coral RX kills stuff pretty good.
This stuff is a lot more potent-
img_3304332_0_9cc72aa7924a60fb0cef2b1639dfd9ee.jpg

Last edited:
Bayer will murder any crustaceans on that coral. You just have to be super careful with the ratio in the dip as it can fry the coral quite quickly.

So what would be the ratio? And that pic is a couple days old. I'll post a better one when I get home.

I don't see any coral eaters. I don't know what those pods are, but I have not seen or heard of a black speck-looking critter that eats sps. Besides, this frag has been in your tank for a couple days now and those critters are all over the place by now. _ The coral still looks fine to me.

So on closer inspection it's nudibranch and can't find Bayer at Home Depot. Not sure if it's carried here (Newfoundland). I've heard dettol works as a good coral dip. Has anyone else used it?

Yep is moving. I can see the head and little red spot when looking through a magnifying glass. Same a the pics I've found on Google. So next problem, how to get rid of it before it spreads to my 5 other monti's

You've got to dip it multiple times to make sure any eggs that might be there are killed shortly after hatching. There's no way to tell if the other montis aren't infected already. To be safe, you must dip all of your montis now.

Well the others can't come out (well extremely hard to take out). Do you know if dettol will work as a good dip? If not what can I use besides Bayer(cannot find it in town anywhere).

Yep. Apparently in the uk its as excepted as Bayer is in the states. Just dipped mine in 0.3ml per lt of tank water for 10min. The nudi fell off after 7min. Brittle star fell off instantly (found a worm of some sort and 2 bristle worms dead) Rinsed with two bowls of tank water and placed back in the DT. It's been 20 min and polyps are open alteady.

If that stuff works you'll have to do it again in a few days, and then a few days after that, to be sure eggs haven't hatched. Keep a close eye on the other colonies. I found taking macro shots with a cheap underwater camera works very well for spotting pests.

Back
Top Bottom