Black spots on Fire Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roka64

Aquarium Advice Addict
This weekend I noticed black spots on my blood red fire shrimp. Water params are all good (I don't know about Ca, I don't have a test kit for that). He molted last weekend, my cleaner looks good. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I can try, but he is hard to get. I'll try to get him out tonight with some food.
Is there such thing as "shell rot"?

It's a hard one, never found much out about it but I do know what you're refering to. More commonly it will diminish with each molt.

Cheers
Steve

Yeah, the closest I came to was "black-spot disease", but it didn't say anything about shrimp....seems more like black ICH on tangs.....
I'll watch it and see if it spreads, or gets better on the next molt, which should be in about 2 weeks...

I saw those too, but there was a pic if that and it looked like it was the exact outline of the gills...This is more like rounded areas...That is more specific to the gills, this goes down his side. I did see something about a flatworm that lices in the substrate, that was black (I don't know if I can find that pic again, I saw it this morning). I'll see if I can get him out tonight and get a pic. You think It would be ok to put him in a glass of tankwater just to get a good pic?

roka64 said:
I'll see if I can get him out tonight and get a pic. You think It would be ok to put him in a glass of tankwater just to get a good pic?
Wouldn't be my first choice but as long as it's easily captured and replaced sfat enough. You could alternately try placing a bit of food near the front of the tank glass to get a better vantage point. Depends on the fish though.

Cheers
Steve

Black spots on Fire Shrimp? UPDATE PIC

He hangs out underneath a ledge w/the cleaner....I could distract the cleaner and try to get the fire out...good idea, I really didn't want to pull him out. The flow generally moves the fodd right to him so I will use a toothepick to stick it in the substrate and try to bring him out! I'll try to post sometime tonight between 7PM EST and 8PMEST....

Thanks again for the helpful hint!

He just molted, everything looks good....

Attachments

• mini-molted_black_spots_212.jpg
    mini-molted_black_spots_212.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 81
Nope, clear and bright! He is pretty big, so maybe it is age spots before he molts. I have been looking all over, online and still can't find what it was...

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom