Black Volitan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have a humu trigger and a porcupine puffer with our black volitan lion. Make sure they are the same size or bigger than the lion. He's not very aggressive as long as the others are not small enough for him to consider them food He will be fine. He's really kind of laid back even at feeding time. The trigger is more food aggressive than the lion. Yes they are poisonous to us but he hasn't harmed the other fish.

electrikat said:
We have a humu trigger and a porcupine puffer with our black volitan lion. Make sure they are the same size or bigger than the lion. He's not very aggressive as long as the others are not small enough for him to consider them food He will be fine. He's really kind of laid back even at feeding time. The trigger is more food aggressive than the lion. Yes they are poisonous to us but he hasn't harmed the other fish.

so how do the people change water or clean the tank?

He won't chase you with hi poisonous spines. More worry would be if you tried to handle the fish and got a finnning! He would be more likely to snack on a finger that waws to close, but they are docile and hunt at night.

volitan lion

They do not bother you. They stay out of the way and you just make sure they are at the other end of the tank if you have to stick your hand in. They do not hunt you down. They actually will wait at the same place every day to be fed and if you feed live, they will eventually hand feed, you just hold the fish by the tail and drop it's head in the tank and the lion will eat it. Their aggressiveness is way over rated and exaggerated.

Re: volitan lion

electrikat said:
They do not bother you. They stay out of the way and you just make sure they are at the other end of the tank if you have to stick your hand in. They do not hunt you down. They actually will wait at the same place every day to be fed and if you feed live, they will eventually hand feed, you just hold the fish by the tail and drop it's head in the tank and the lion will eat it. Their aggressiveness is way over rated and exaggerated.

live food?
like what?
how big tank has to be?

Re: volitan lion

you&me said:
electrikat said:
They do not bother you. They stay out of the way and you just make sure they are at the other end of the tank if you have to stick your hand in. They do not hunt you down. They actually will wait at the same place every day to be fed and if you feed live, they will eventually hand feed, you just hold the fish by the tail and drop it's head in the tank and the lion will eat it. Their aggressiveness is way over rated and exaggerated

live food?
like what?
how big tank has to be?

I have 55g and I dont know if that's good size for it.

A black volitan will quickly outgrow a 55 gallon tank. If you ever want any kind of smaller fish, this is not the fish for you to get. I also think it is not a good fish for a beginner.

Hara said:
A black volitan will quickly outgrow a 55 gallon tank. If you ever want any kind of smaller fish, this is not the fish for you to get. I also think it is not a good fish for a beginner.

hmmmm.............
I think I have to greed with you but I would like to try so many fish if I can but I dont know wich fish to Mixed with?
I dont know wich fish is getting along with each other :oops: I learn how to Keep my fish a live :wink: my yellow tang and 2 p clown is still live in my other 55g tank I dont know if you see my tank :lol: it's amost not thing in there :lol:

I disagree that a volitan is not a good fish for beginner. Granted a 55 may be to small in the longrun, and he WILL eat all smaller fish, tehy are very docile, very pretty, and very hardy fish. All of that depends on a well handled specimen of course, but as far as fish go a volitan is a very hardy marine fish.

I disagree that a volitan is not a good fish for beginner

The intent of that statement was not to criticize the hardiness or temperament of the fish, but of the New hobbiest learning care and how to generally "deal" with the inhabitants of the tank.

quarryshark said:
Once big enough it would probably make a meal out of your clownfish.
?????????????????
Hmmmmmmmm Why would they eat my clownfish? I dont think they can jump to One tank to other. :drinking:
I have two 55g they been set up since jun-04 :smilecolros:
I like to add some fish in my other 55g right now I just have 2 damsels
LOL. can you here me now. :n00b:

Lol, I get it. That would be a good trick. :lol: But..................
The Lion could eat damsels too. 8O
Of course for some, that is a good way to catch the damsels. :p

quarryshark said:
Lol, I get it. That would be a good trick. :lol: But..................
The Lion could eat damsels too. 8O
Of course for some, that is a good way to catch the damsels. :p

LOL
I dont know why but it's easy for me to catch damsels I been moveing them around so many time they are with me since I start my saltwater tank and Iam thinking of move them to HP tank(10g)LOL :BIG: Until I setup 20g tank

You might want to look into one of the dwarf lions. Either a fuzzy or zebra would be fine in a 55. They get about 7 inches, but will still try to eat your clowns or damsels if they are small enough.

An antenatta lion also stays relatively small. We feed ours rosies. Some kind of small goldfish. Many people do not like to feed live freshwater fish because of the risk of disease. That is indeed a risk and I am constantly trying to entice him to eat shrimp or other types of seafood so that I can discontinue the live. They are a pain in the a to keep alive long enough to feed them to the lion. Any suggestions on alternative foods would be appreciated. My tank is a 90g.

electrikat said:
An antenatta lion also stays relatively small. We feed ours rosies. Some kind of small goldfish. Many people do not like to feed live freshwater fish because of the risk of disease. That is indeed a risk and I am constantly trying to entice him to eat shrimp or other types of seafood so that I can discontinue the live. They are a pain in the a to keep alive long enough to feed them to the lion. Any suggestions on alternative foods would be appreciated. My tank is a 90g.

Hey Guys :p
I Just brought home some 2 Dwarf lion and 1 Humu Huma Trigger
One thing that Humu Huma Tigger dose is Keep taping on dwarf lion
Why dose that?

Also I brought some live brine for them but Humu Trigger eats it but dwarf lion dosen, anyway alot of people feed them seaweed.

Back
Top Bottom