Bleached anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Quite a while ago .

Actually it was may 24th 2013
I went away for the weekend and came home to see my light timer wasn't working all weekend .
My lights stayed on and when I came home a hammer coral was dead , a diamond watchman goby , cleaner shrimp
The only thing that bleached and is still alive is the anemone and candy cane coral .
What could I do to help my anemone get her color back ?

Proper lighting, pristine water conditions, and time should restore the nems color

Proper lighting, pristine water conditions, and time should restore the nems color

I'm using T5HO
6 bulb fixture.
3 white 3 blue .
The i believe the lighting staying on for the whole weekend is the cause .
But how to get it back is the next problem . she will stay in one place for a few weeks than travel for the next couple days . Just from traveling I know she isn't happy .

I have had two bleached for over 4 months. It does not seem to ever regain it's color.

Mine is while now .
If you look at my pictures I have posted here In my profile I have a picture of when it was nice and dark pink .
And I think I have a white picture too .
I wish there was a way to help her get back to normal .
Any kind of additive , bacteria , natural elements that she might be lacking ?

Mine is while now .
If you look at my pictures I have posted here In my profile I have a picture of when it was nice and dark pink .
And I think I have a white picture too .
I wish there was a way to help her get back to normal .
Any kind of additive , bacteria , natural elements that she might be lacking ?

I've tried everything. I've used additives. Kept the salinity at 1.025. I added trace elements, used the "best" salt and they still remain white.

But none of that has anything to do with keeping water pristine, parameters stable, lighting what is needed, and time...lots of time.

Are T5HO suitable for nems ?
I think they must be or mine wouldn't be bleached ,

Some say 4 will do it, but I wouldn't try it with less than 6 personally.
I would stop adding additives and just do water changes to keep things stable.

What size is your tank?

I'm going to see what I can find for additional research on anemones , bleached anemones and see what I find ,
There has to be more info available

There is tons of info about anemones out there. In reality, they sound complex but are very simple. They are all about flow, light, and pristine water. When not happy, they will move around until it finds what it is looking for. This often confuses us, as they don't have a brain and will wander. I had a green bta that his under a rock and got no light. He refused to come out so I had to flip it over for him and he was happy. Back to not having a brain. But this unhappiness and search for one of the 3 things they want is how they get sucked into power heads or plant themselves on top of someone's prized coral.

Don't try to complicate things for yourself, look at your flow, light, or water conditions. Test your water, post the results. Tell us more about your t5ho. How many bulbs is it, how old are the bulbs, and what spectrum are they? He isn't moving, so I'm not considering flow part of the equation here, but list the power heads anyway so we can have a better understanding of your setup. The more detail you give us the more help we can be.

There is tons of info about anemones out there. In reality, they sound complex but are very simple. They are all about flow, light, and pristine water. When not happy, they will move around until it finds what it is looking for. This often confuses us, as they don't have a brain and will wander. I had a green bta that his under a rock and got no light. He refused to come out so I had to flip it over for him and he was happy. Back to not having a brain. But this unhappiness and search for one of the 3 things they want is how they get sucked into power heads or plant themselves on top of someone's prized coral.

Don't try to complicate things for yourself, look at your flow, light, or water conditions. Test your water, post the results. Tell us more about your t5ho. How many bulbs is it, how old are the bulbs, and what spectrum are they? He isn't moving, so I'm not considering flow part of the equation here, but list the power heads anyway so we can have a better understanding of your setup. The more detail you give us the more help we can be.

I'm not sure of the lights .
I bought them used in the fixture about 8 months ago .
It has 6 bulbs 3 white and 3 blue .
Ill get the intensity when I get home .
As for filtration I have a Ehiem canister ,
And a coralife skimmer .
3 power heads and again ill get more info on them when I get home .
As for water .......
Nitrates : 5 ppm
Nitrites and ammonia : 0 ppm
Ph 8.2
SG : 1.025
Blue lights come on at 9:00 am and whites come on at 10
They go out at blue 8:00 and whites at 9:00 pm
The one draw back ,,,
I set my tank up with municipal tap water .
I'm looking for a RO/DI system now thinking this could be part of the issue .

And she is mobile .
She will stay on top of one rock for weeks on end then decide she needs a stroll around the tank .
She always goes back to the Same place but it takes a few weeks for her to get there .

image-1536513246.jpg

Picture of lights .
They say 54 w
10 kk on the white .
The blue say 54 w

Attachments

• image-383598945.jpg
    image-383598945.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 46
  • image-804127977.jpg
    image-804127977.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 48
The eheim canister is type 2217

Skimmer is is the model good for up to 125 gal .
Like I said before its a coralife super skimmer
One power head is a maxi jet 900

image-1398424982.jpg

And these are the other 2 power heard placed at either end of the tank

Attachments

• image-2793669219.jpg
    image-2793669219.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 73
The fixture should be able to support the anemone. How old are the bulbs? The downfall to units like this is the bulbs needing replaced every 6 months as they loose their color spectrum as they age.

In terms of flow, it looks like they are pretty high up and aimed at the tank. Have you tried moving them down some? I'd still keep them pointed up at the surface of the water. That might help it stay put.

As for water, you are right. Ditch the tap. Is it possible to keep them in tap, but what all is your water authority putting in there? Since anemones are sensitive creatures, the addition of things that web like such as fluoride and chlorine, as examples, only hamper attempting to keep such creatures. This isn't even considering heavy metals, which copper is deadly to inverts.

So, I'd say switch to distilled water and slowly work on changing out the tap. Move one of the power heads to establish some flow for it lower in the tank.

The fixture should be able to support the anemone. How old are the bulbs? The downfall to units like this is the bulbs needing replaced every 6 months as they loose their color spectrum as they age.

In terms of flow, it looks like they are pretty high up and aimed at the tank. Have you tried moving them down some? I'd still keep them pointed up at the surface of the water. That might help it stay put.

As for water, you are right. Ditch the tap. Is it possible to keep them in tap, but what all is your water authority putting in there? Since anemones are sensitive creatures, the addition of things that web like such as fluoride and chlorine, as examples, only hamper attempting to keep such creatures. This isn't even considering heavy metals, which copper is deadly to inverts.

So, I'd say switch to distilled water and slowly work on changing out the tap. Move one of the power heads to establish some flow for it lower in the tank.

Thanks , ill try that .
I've had the lights almost a year and I bought it used .
That could be the problem too ?

Probably. I'd never use bulbs for a year. Check out the ati bulbs. I used ati special blue, blue plus, and Fiji purple (not an ati bulb). Put together a nice blue tank.

Back
Top Bottom