Bleached anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a bubble tip anemone the other day and thought it was really cool the way it had those white tips. Someone (not on AA) has told me those tips are actually bleached! Yikes!

I wold like to know if they are actually bleached and if so what I can do about it.

It's being housed in a 10g nano reef. System is a few months old with stable parameters and weekly water changes. RO/DI system is used for all water in the tank.

Sorry about the photo, I had to turn off the blue on my light just so you can see it because my phone doesn't take the blues well.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437692057.162867.jpg

Caleb

Bleaching in an anemone looks different than that...it wouldn't simply be contained in the tips. I don't think that this is a negative thing health wise either...though I agree with X here as I've never seen a BTA like it...anemone like sebae on the other hand do have such spots.
That said, after some quick research it seems that people do sell BTA that have spots on the tips of their tentacles. Once things settle as it is still adjusting to your tank we'll see how things are going.
That said, how/what is the lighting over your reef? Intense enough for an anemone?

Bleaching in an anemone looks different than that...it wouldn't simply be contained in the tips. I don't think that this is a negative thing health wise either...though I agree with X here as I've never seen a BTA like it...anemone like sebae on the other hand do have such spots.
That said, after some quick research it seems that people do sell BTA that have spots on the tips of their tentacles. Once things settle as it is still adjusting to your tank we'll see how things are going.
That said, how/what is the lighting over your reef? Intense enough for an anemone?

Thanks Hank.

I'm using a TaoTronics 165w LED hanging fixture. It's been kept on low (it's fully adjustable) because when I turn it up I've had run ins with algae.

Caleb

Powerful bugger for a 10 as it'll cover a 20 with ease. That's most likely why. How are the parameters? How did you acclimate this guy to your new tank?

Yes he was dropped for well over an hour.

Fish less cycled for around 2 months so no traces of ammonia or nitrites. Nitrates stay below 10ppm with water changes weekly.

Right now it's just a small snowflake clown, a peppermint shrimp, and 2 scarlet hermits.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom