Bleaching Branching Montiporia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BelleMorte

Aquarium Advice Activist
1. Type & how long you have had it: Branching Monti we have had it 2 months
2. Current lighting & Bulb Age: 6 x T5 Lamps, which include 3 x 24W T5 HO 12,000K Fluorescent Lamps and 3 x 24W T5 HO Actinic Blue Lamps
3. Nitrate:0.0
4. Calcium:480
5. Phosphate:n/a
6. Alkalinity:n/a
7. pH:8.4
8. Salinity:1.026
9. Temperature:80
10. Liquid or strip test kits: Api Marine Kit
11. Location in tank:Upper Middle
12. Current amount of flow:can't remember but two good sized power heads
13. Current tank dosing regimen:no dosing
14. Nearby coral:None to near it but the closest is a Fijian Yellow Leather that is doing wonderful
15. Explanation of problem:it is bleaching started from the bottom up. Lady at the lfs (been in business 20+ yrs) said our lighting would be okay for it. Today I noticed the purple tint has faded even more to the point it looks like it is bleaching out...Mind you this is the first time I have ever had corals in my tank and my tank is around 8 yrs old. I do have the option to move it my smaller display tank that was being set up for seahorses if I need to move the coral

I agree your lighting should be sufficient, unless the tank is exceptionally deep. How long are the lights on each day?

Also, I strongly suggest getting an alkalinity kit, magnesium kit, and phosphate kit. your calcium and pH are in line, but knowing those other parameters might help give us a clue. Do you have a local reef club or an LFS than can test those for you?

I have a follow up based on your quote "12. Current amount of flow:can't remember but two good sized power heads". How old are the bulbs in the light. Flourescent bulbs have a surprisingly short lifespan, in the 9-12 month range. After that the spectrum starts to fall off to the lower frequency, and your corals will suffer. Could be your only problem if they are 8 years old as well.

@Rutrag I will be picking up those test kits soon so I can test for those as well no local reef club and sadly the lady at the fish store doesn't test for anything but the basics I already called and talked with her.

@Ingy the lights are only 2 months old got them in march we got the corals when we upgraded the lighting. The reason I dont' remember the tech stuff is my husband takes care of that stuff I take care of the tank and water changes which I do weekly since it is a 30 gal tank I tend to do 10 gal changes unless I get something very outta wack

Oh forgot to answer about the lighting....the blues kick on in the morning about an hour before the whites and then are on for about 8-9 hours then the whites kick off and the blues are on for an hour after the whites then the moon lights are on for a couple of hours then dark....I have the lights kick on around 9 am since the tank gets some natural morning sun

Bleaching from the bottom up would not be lighting anyway. Alk issues/swings would be what i would want to rule out first.
Random indirect flow for this coral. You want to see the tiny polyps move back and forth from time to time.

I do see the tiny pylops and i will be getting the other tests tomorrow and figure out what is going on that way.....I would hate to lose this neat little coral

the Monti is coming back nicely since we had to treat for Dino which i must say is a pain in the arse.....Though since the dino my fiji yellow coral is dying...I thought it was shedding like most leathers do so i gently cleaned off the shedding stuff and now there are huge holes in it....it is crumbling like a freaking old dried out sponge....I am getting very frustrated at this point....I treated the dino didn't dose the tank..lights out for 3 days and covered up so light could get in....kept up on everything and all was fine

How did you treat for dinoflaggelates? Just by turning the lights out for 3 days? I don't think that would kill the leather. When in doubt, do a water change.

tank covered for 3 days with no lighting...have carbon filter running did a huge water change when the 3 days were up. Will do another change when I get off work.

I can't figure out how to attach the pic I have on my phone to here so I can't show it to you

Back
Top Bottom