Blue Damsel Behavior Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishgeek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This question is for my daughter who has a 75 gallon reef tank. She has 4 oranged tailed (male?) blue damsels in the tank. They are healthy and eating fine. One in particular has been going down to the sandbed and stirring it up with his tale/body. He is wallowing in it and making scooped out areas. Why is he doing this......is it normal behavior for these fish? TIA

My damsels often do the same thing. I'm not positive as to why, might just be marking his territory, showing aggression towards the others, or it could just be making a comfortable area to hang out in and sleep...a place to call home? Just my thoughts... :D

Thanks for the reply, Brad.....I'll let my daughter know it's nothing to worry about:)

Janey

A lot of fish do this. This is what is called "bedding". This is their safety zone.. If you look more closely and observe, you will notice that the Damsel that is doing this, will defend it's spot with uttermost aggression.. Mine would travel 3 ft across the tank to defend its bed if he thought the fish coming toward was threatening it's territory.

BTW, In FW Fishing, this is what you look for in the Lakes and Streams... Some would refere them to Crappie Beds, Bass Beds, etc...

Thanks, Tim......I'll give her the information....very interesting:)

Janey

Back
Top Bottom