Blue flasher wrasse Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ron-salt-tank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My new blue flasher has been in my tank for three days and he has stopped eating, lays on the bottom and is breathing fast. Photos attached. My guess is he's dying, but don't know why.

Can anyone help? He's been very shy and hid most of the time since I put him in. Only other fish in tank is a black capped jawfish, he snaps at him some when he gets close, but he does that to all others.

Thanks.

Attachments

• image-3220289719.jpg
    image-3220289719.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 80
  • image-1352998752.jpg
    image-1352998752.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 91
  • image-30118478.jpg
    image-30118478.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 83
Well, he died a bit ago. Ammonia is between 0-0.25, nitrite is a bit high around .5. It is about a month old tank, everything else seems to be fine. Do u think nitrites did it? My jawfish has been in there a week with no problem.

What are your nitrAtes? Ammonia and nitrites should be zero. Month old with fish already...almost sounds like it is not cycled.

Sorry to hear about the loss though.

Hang in there, I did the same thing before! Do weekly water changes 10 to 15 percent, test your water and plan what you want to do in your tank. There's always something to do or add. Wait till you have zeros before you add more fish.

My nitrates are at 30 ppm, I charted all the test results from the time I put the tank in and it looks like I had a second cycle. A week ago the nitrates were at 40 and nitrites at 0-0.1. That was why I thought it would be safe to add another fish (along with some bad LFS advice). I'll give it a couple weeks and see how things play out. Do u guys think my jawfish will be okay? All I have in there is him and some cleanup crew, peppermint shrimp, hermits, 2 cleaner clams and a few various snails. He's been there since last weekend and no problems, he's digging and doing all the normal things he did at the LFS. What nitrite level should I be worried about him? The LFS guy told me some nitrites are okay, everything I've been reading disagrees with that.

Back
Top Bottom