Blue hippo rubbing on rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dromo2189

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello so had this blue hippo for. Week now. Had in qt tank and didn’t see anything on him and he’s eating like a pig. Today i notice he was rubbing against the sand. Maybe ich? If so is there a way i can feed and get a cleaner wrasse or something to help? Cause he doesn’t go by my cleaner shrimp and qt is tough again cause i can put all my fish in qt

Only 3 sure ways to cure marine ich . Cleaner fish or shrimp are not one of them .
1 .Hyposalinity
2. Copper
3. Transfer method
Those are the only three ways to cure marine ich no matter what anyone else says.
It is a horrible disease in the marine aquarium in compare to its shared name freshwater disease. FW ich is a walk in the park .
Marine ich has been documented to have a life cycle of up to if not over 90 days and has devastated many tanks almost completely...:whistle:
If you have it these methods are all that will work. If something else works it is not marine ich.
Here is a link to confirm where I get my info and opinion from...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...hp?t=1985626&usg=AOvVaw2Gvhy22IirjM5U4qwbbKtN
Sometimes fish just scratch. Look for spots in the am as the ich will fall and multiply where the infected fish sleeps and re attack it nightly .I know some say lights out for ich [which is silly because ich does not have eyes] but if it is bad I have left my lights on 24/7 during treatment...

you would be better off with a QT tank so he can be separated from the other fish
leaving in display is risking contaminating entire tank

I have to check him out today. Cause after i posted it i haven’t seen him running at all again

Keep an eye on it. Ich has three different life stages. One where it lives in the sandbed, second where it swims up for a host, and finally the third where we are able to visibly see the cysts. These cysts finally pop and release more of the parasite into the sandbed to mature and the cycle continue.
As for hypo, I would not do so in the display tank. This will basically uncycle your system and you can start over from scratch. There is a reason QT and hospital tanks are important.

If the blue hippo does have ich wouldn’t all my fish need to be qt?

Basically yes .
If you have ich in your DT you need to pull fish , treat them in a HT and leave the DT fishless for 60-90 days minimum ..

Yeah i don’t think that’s possible with my livestock and my qt is small. I don’t have anywhere else to setup another tank. Would feeding them a lot and having a cleaner shrimp and cleaner wrasse help? Or can i start on some kind of antibiotic to maybe boost there systems?

If only the hippo is showing infection pull and treat him and pray..
You should read the link I posted before..It answers all the questions you are going to ask...
The ich is growing if you have it while you consider the options ....
There are only 3.

Back
Top Bottom