Blue Tang behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy929

Aquarium Advice Regular
I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere, but my Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus) has been exhibiting some very strange behavior that is leading me to believe that he is not ok. For instance:

1.) she will rub against the LR in the aquarium like she is scratching. Possible parasites?? No visual signs of ick.

2.) Also, she likes to go inverted and sideways in between rocks and lay there for long periods of time.

3.) She never comes out for feeding either, but I have seen her nibble on algea on occasion.

4.) She has a fascination with my Sally Lightfoot crabs. Almost like she wants then to "clean" her. I plan on getting a pair of Skunk Cleaner Shrimp later this week. If it's clean she wants, then its clean she'll get! (will the SL crabs leave the shrimp alone?)

Anyway, other than that she appears to be healthy. No rapid breating or darting around in stress. My water conditions are very good. My other fish, corals, and Bubble Tip Anenome all seem to be doing fine.

Am I being paranoid or should I be doing something about this?

umm.. i think she does have parasites.. i have one that also does that.. don't try to look at her too much because i've never seen mines come out much everytime i look at the tank.. but when i feed the fishes, i stand way back to look at the tank and i can see mines come out to eat.. mines made friend with my maroon clown and the maroon clown is the only thing that keeps mines from hiding all day.. just stand back and look at her until she gets comfortable.. mines is still not comfortable.. it's been a month

Hello, my tang also likes to scratch... must feel good! I read that this is normal behavior for them, as is the wedging. I have had mine for about 6 months now and she is no longer shy. Good luck!

Blue Tang

My Blue Tang found a hole in my LR where he wedges himself in at night and then comes out in the morning. When stressed they have been known to play dead. Mine has been battling ick for some time now. He will have white spots on his body some evenings and the next day they will be gone. He used to rub on the sand bottom and the LR as well. I bought a cleaner shrimp and since then I have not seen him rubbing. I also feed him "Julian Spring's Sea Veggies Green Seaweed soaked in Kent Extreme Garlic, and clip it to the tank glass with a suction cup. The Garlic I believe has also helped with the ick. Good luck.

Well, I lost my Blue Tang yesterday morning. Probably starved since it never came out for food. That's my guess anyway. We replaced her with another and bought two Skunk Cleaner Shrimp while we were at it. The new tang seems to be doing well and is already feeding on flake.

Make sure to give it plenty of algae to eat. Seaweed Selects Green Marine Algae from Ocean Nutrition is good and is a good Vitamin C source. This is one thing that Tangs need. If you give them the closest match to natural diet, they will do well in captivity. One of the things about Tangs in general, is, they are very susceptable to malnutrition. This will cause many outbreaks of disease in them. Not to mention, they will not be happy.

I feed my Yellow tang seaweed salad...rubber-banded to a small piece of LR and Algae flakes... it took time...but she eats them now....

i feed mine a homemade concotion of all kinds of seafood and alot of nori from the health food store. since i started feeding this stuff my fish and corals seem to be ten times more colorful and active. i highly recommend it to anyone interested.

could you share your recipe for your homemade concotion please.

yep, same here, when I had all the fish in the tank anyway....fellow member StephenEddy has gotten a couple bags of my "fish mash". He says his love it.

I have yet to meet a coral that didnt eat it, even the sea apple thought it was great. I think it may have something to do with the tons of garlic oil that I put in mine.

Back
Top Bottom