Blue tang got ich, advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bkmrsteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have had my tank set up for a few months now. Just got a new fish, small blue tang I had seen at the lfs for about a month. Hes been with us for almost two weeks, eating very well (shrimp and green sea weed)

Just started showing ich. Scratching, and a few sand specks.

My question is, do I need to remove all the fish, or can I get away with just the one? The others are all very healthy,

I have coral and inverts, and didn't have a qt tell today.

Thanks

I guess I do... This sucks, should have known better

It may very well be erisponsible, but I'm going to try the natural immune system, increase skimming, and see about borrowing a uv sterilizer for the next month or so. I also have slime cote product on hand.

I would have to empty my tank to get my wrasse out, and wouldnt be much easier for the others.

Thanks for the links, I read threw them all. Il monitor the fish closely, but removing fish is not an option at this time.

It may very well be erisponsible, but I'm going to try the natural immune system, increase skimming, and see about borrowing a uv sterilizer for the next month or so. I also have slime cote product on hand.

I would have to empty my tank to get my wrasse out, and wouldnt be much easier for the others.

Thanks for the links, I read threw them all. Il monitor the fish closely, but removing fish is not an option at this time.
You need to treat the fish with either copper or hypo in a qt tank, those are the only proven methods for eradicating the parasite other wise I doubt the outcome will be favorable. Good luck

tonedogz said:
You need to treat the fish with either copper or hypo in a qt tank, those are the only proven methods for eradicating the parasite other wise I doubt the outcome will be favorable. Good luck

I agree with this. If you dont treat soon your other fish will become infected. If you have ich it will not magically disappear. You will regret not quarantining. It might be a pain to catch them but it needs to be done. Trap the hard to get ones, they dont all have to come out the same day.

If you feel no other option permits and only plan fish-only you can treat in-tank (copper can be diffucult to treat/rid as sandbeds and liverock "soak it in." Formalin is another route in QT.

Last edited:
I'm not sure UV will help much. Ich will drop off the fish into sand. If it does not pass thru the UV system (which it will likely not) it will still be there.

crister13 said:
If its not an option, soak food in garlic and selcon and make sure params are good.

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm trying. Everyone talks about paitience is key with marine aquariums. but I can't see breaking down everything in my tank, because one fish has 4 or five spots that might be ich practicing that well. They are all eating VERY well, and adapted comfortably in my tank.

I read that blue tangs have a high mortality rate when young, and don't eat well, more so when feeding sea weed. Although mine consumes generis portions of it, and is a very playful happy behaving fish.

I think I'm going to be paitient, and monitor things closely without jumping into something that will stress everyone (fish, myself, and girlfriend). If anything turns for the worse at any point in time, I can take action.

My tank is 75 gal, and someone is giving me a uv sterilizer tomorrow rated for 125gal, just have to get a bulb for it.

Made my own garlic rich food, and got the uv sterilizer today. Its a coralife 9w turbine style starilizer. Guy I know gave it to me :) already got a new bulb for it and installed in line with my return pump.

Its so funny, my blue tang had this one spot left on his cheek. He fallows my six line around, nudging him and then turning his side to the six line. Trying to get him to help with the spot im guessing, as I saw the six line picking at different spot for him a few days ago.

The route u are taking is like having yur 90 year old granny come down with swine flu and giving het chicken noodle soup to get better instead of taking her to the doctor...... We need to eliminate the myths in this hobby and stick to the tried and true methods to eliminate the ick so deaths are less likely and people don't get discouraged of the hobby so stop promoting garlic as a cure all it don't work uv s kill only what passes through the uz not all will go through ...hypo copper or transfer method equals success.. snake oils Indian prayer dances , Chinese garlic remedys equal death to fish cruel imo more cost to the hobbiest and discouragement

bskerrichard27 said:
The route u are taking is like having yur 90 year old granny come down with swine flu and giving het chicken noodle soup to get better instead of taking her to the doctor...... We need to eliminate the myths in this hobby and stick to the tried and true methods to eliminate the ick so deaths are less likely and people don't get discouraged of the hobby so stop promoting garlic as a cure all it don't work uv s kill only what passes through the uz not all will go through ...hypo copper or transfer method equals success.. snake oils Indian prayer dances , Chinese garlic remedys equal death to fish cruel imo more cost to the hobbiest and discouragement

I would really love to be able to do do this, but its just not an option right now. I'm working on making sure I have the ability to if out becomes an outtake in the tank. Ask then, the very first fish isee it spred to, I'll be able to brake down the tank to remove them all to the qt for property treatment.

I'm trying to be reasonable in the fact that I'm doing whatever I can for now to help them, and hey, I'll have given the bad ideas the best shot they have. You won't see me boasting about the treatment a week from now :p

I was roped into salt water buy a very bad lfs that owed me money. I really can't afford if, but I have fallon in love, and I'm doing everything I can for now tell I create options.

crister13 said:
I've seen fish be cured by garlic, and have done it myself. It does work sometimes.

Crister garlic has never been proven to cure anything. Many people claim magical results but it cant be attributed to garlic in any scientific way.

Sometimes ich can starve itself out by not finding a susceptible host. Meaning the healthier your fish are the more resistance they have. Garlic is only useful as a feeding enticer and during an ich outbreak this can be very important since many times appetites are lost and proper diet can help your fish fight back.

Marine ich is not 'cured' with garlic. Garlic should be used as a feeding supplement to promote feeding and in turn health, and used sparingly.

To each his own but i definitely do not recommend trying to use garlic as an ich medication

I am well aware it's not a cure. And I know I hasn't been proven in any way shape or form. But that mixed with selcon will boost immune system helping to fight the ick away. Atleast that's what I've heard from a couple websites. Copper and hypo will for sure work 10000x better, but if you don't have the option of using them, absolutely soak in garlic and selcon if you can.

All the fish are still healthy, active, and eating. All the visual ich has fallen or been scraped off. Only time will tell now if and when an out brake will occur.

Started feeding formula one, lfs came up with it in the fish store. Small chunks of that, with little bits of my garlic food.

I'll be sure to post a week from now if everyone has it, hold off at least a month before any alarms start subsiding. Hope for the best, doing all I can to plan for the worst.

Bkmrsteel said:
All the fish are still healthy, active, and eating. All the visual ich has fallen or been scraped off. Only time will tell now if and when an out brake will occur.

Started feeding formula one, lfs came up with it in the fish store. Small chunks of that, with little bits of my garlic food.

I'll be sure to post a week from now if everyone has it, hold off at least a month before any alarms start subsiding. Hope for the best, doing all I can to plan for the worst.

Any update? Ich hatch yet?

Back
Top Bottom