brain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had to partially tear down my tank to net a sick Flame Angelfish for quarentine and treatment. After finishing I noticed the water level in the tank had dropped so I added some fresh - this knocked the salinty a little low. According to my refractometer it needed about 1 cup.

Not thinking, and in a major rush to get to work on time I dumped a cup of Instant Ocean into the tank. Some of it got on my open brain coral. The coral instantly shrivled smaller and it seemed like it hurt it. Would this be something that could hurt or even destroy the coral?

Considering the live in saltwater - and the salt dissolves in a matter of seconds or minutes and I cant see how it could.

Obviously not the best way to resolve low salinity. IMO, for what its worth, I would have left it until I got home and mixed it proper. Probably not a great thing to have salt right on the coral like that, since it tends to have a drying or burning effect. I would be surprised if it died, and even more surprised if it had not bounced back in a couple days if not hours, less it was a really young coral and a whole lot of salt. You may consider some extra circulation to get things mixed up : ) Make sure to toss him an extra piece of silverside for his troubles when he pops back open...

GL!

Back
Top Bottom