Brain coral bleaching (I think), requesting help (pics...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20 20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had this brain coral for 5 days now, and it's losing it's color, slowly. When I got it the lfs said to place it in the substrate, so that's where I've got it. I was wondering if it's in trouble, if so, what is that trouble, and what can I do about it. Should it be placed so it's 'foot' is completely in the substrate? Because it's not now, as you can see by the pics:

2005-10-27openbrain03s.jpg

These next two are a bit fuzzy, doh...
2005-10-27openbrain04s.jpg

2005-10-27openbrain14s.jpg

29 gallon tank
15 gallon sump/fuge (approximately 10 gallons of water in it)
Mag 5 return pump
1 maxijet 1200, high flow in the top of the tank
1 200 gph powerhead aimed along the back of the tank at the bottom
130 watts PC lighting, one 10000k, and one 420/460 actinec (sp?)
temp: 80
PH: 8.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <20
Alk: 120 ppm ( I know this is low, I'm trying baking soda)
Calcium: 450 ppm
Phosphate: 0
SG: 1.026

Any ideas, hints, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of lighting do you have?

Once the fleshy part starts to recede or burn in one spot off the edges, it usually just does a domino effect and slowly wither away.

I knew I was forgetting something in that first post! Lighting is 130 watts PC lighting, one 10000k, and one 420/460 actinec (sp?). (updated the first post, too).

So, based on the picture, it's gonna die?

What kind of fish do you have? it looks to me like it is not opening. I have a brain that did not open because my angle kept nipping it.

A false perc, and a bicolor basslet. Also have a Skunk cleaner shrimp.

I've been doing some reading (a bit after the fact, eh?), and it seems that these corals can be fed directly, with pieces of shrimp, or silversides, etc. LFS told me that phyto was all that was needed. So, should I feed it small amounts of shrimp or silversides?

Confusion abounds...

You can try and feed it a small piece of food and see if it will take it. Did you or the LFS touch the coral with you bare hands? I remember reading somewhere that the oils in our skin can harm certain corals/animals, the brain being one of them. I will see if I can find that article..

I don't remember if the lfs had gloves on or not when bagging, but I did when aclimating and placing in the tank. Didn't use it as a football or anything like that, but touched it to move it, yep.

Acclimated via the drip method, over a 2 hour period.

Thanks for all the responses. It's eating a piece of shrimp right now! :)

2005-10-29openbraineating15s.jpg

I was wondering if that piece of shrimp was too big? You see about 1/3 of it still sticking out. Hopefully it'll be alright.

Take a small soft bristled toothbrush and ever so gentley clean off that black area. You want to be sure that part remains free of debris and algae. If so, it will heal rather quickly as long as you get those nitrates down. The main concern with damage of this type is necrosis and/or brown jelly infections setting in. Keep it in a medium flow area on the substrate but be sure it is not in direct or laminar flow. Feeding is definately a plus but try to keep the portion sizes on the smaller side and soak in a good marine liquid vitamin for a few hours at least (preferabley overnight). Smaller pieces being much easier to digest allowing the coral to get the most benefit. Use pieces that are no larger than the end of a pencil eraser judging by the size of the coral.

As for your alk, have you checked your Mg levels? What salt mix are you using, how often are you doing water changes?

Cheers
Steve

Didn't know I could clean that black area off, I'll try that. It is in a medium flow area, so I think I'm ok on that. The piece I fed it was definately bigger than you mention. I think it 'spit out' the big piece after a couple of hours, so it probably was too big. Can you recommend a 'marine liquid vitamin'? Not sure what to get.

No, I haven't tested my Mg, I've been to 3 different good sized fish stores looking, and none of them have an Mg test kit. I'm using Instant Ocean Sea Salt, and I do weekly water changes of around 10 to 15 percent.

20 20 said:
Can you recommend a 'marine liquid vitamin'? Not sure what to get.
Selcon is what I prefer but Zoecon is fine as well. Both contain essential lipids/[acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym]'s. Barring their availability, Zoe Marine or Vita Chem.

Cheers
Steve

Not in my experience. Good water quality, fortified feedings, proper placement and no stressful tank mates are usually all it needs. Dips of that nature usually only make the problem worse. They are better used for parasite related issues in corals (worms/nudi's/snails), not improving health.

Cheers
Steve

Well how did you introduced the coral to the tank? Did you acclimated it? Looks like it has hope... You need to tell your LFS owner that LPS are ZOOPLANKTON feeders not Phyto... With a LFS that doesn't know the basics, then his animals aren't going to be very good cared for specimens... Well, you have come to the right place!
You have to try and feed it at night while the feeder tentacles are out. Hopefully they'll come out maybe 2 or 3 hours after you turn your lights out. I know it will be tough, but at the beginning you have to do it... Try a pice of raw, peeled shrimp no bigger than 1/4 inch in size. Also your nitrate reading should be a bit more specific try getting a good test kit, Salifert, Sera, LaMotte... Optimally it should be less than 5ppm.
HTH and Good Luck!!! :)

Yeah, I drip acclimated it for maybe two hours. And the lfs help is dependent upon who you get there, I was a bit leary of the girl helping me. I fed it a small peice of silverside yesterday morning, it took it just fine, thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom