Brain Coral Help (UPDATE PICS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there anything I can do to save my brain coral? It is still bleached out, and it is now starting to loose it's flesh. It has some brown hairy like places, where it's begining to loose it's flesh.

Not that I can help you at all, but I'm thinking it might be beneficial to say how long it had been in the tank doing well.

It's only been in the tank for about 3weeks or so. It was a nice color, and then it bleached out in a day or so. It has never regained it's color. Also I should mention that my water specs are great. :?

Thanks. :wink:

Be sure it's out of the intense light (shaded would help) and very little direct water flow but enough to prevent detritus accumulation. If the polyps will accept foods, feed them meaty items soaked in a marine vitamin high in vitamin C. Also be sure you dose the tank with the vitamin as well. About 5 ml/10 gal. Remove any carbon/resin products first though.

If you notice any "brown" accumulation you need to syphon it off the coral and out of the tank. Try not to spread it. Sounds like brown jelly disease. You should also do several large water changes with well aged SW.

Are they near any other corals and what is the alk/Ca?

Cheers
Steve

I am in a tight spot. I have no meaty food, no marine vitamin. I also have no salt. I just used it all for the flatworms incident.

The brown is like a algae, kinda hairy looking.

FRUSTRATED!

Sorry David, what I suggested is about all you can do. It does sound like brown jelly disease unless coming from only the mouth openings. You really do need to do the water changes and vitamin C is the best method to fight the bacteria. :(

Cheers
Steve

What kind of meaty food do you suggest? Also can I get some vit C from the grocery store?

Thanks Steve.

revhtree said:
What kind of meaty food do you suggest?
Anything marine based and raw, otherwise it doesn't matter.

Also can I get some vit C from the grocery store?
You could but I wouldn't suggest it. It needs to be "sabalized" vitamin C otherwise it will dramatically lower pH.

Cheers
Steve

That's the nasty stuff. At the very least use a small syphon hose and get as much "goo" off the coral. Be mindful not to brush the coral though or it could cause more damage.

Have you noticed any crustaceans or fish picking at it?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom