Brains die in sps tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMance

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a mixed reef with a sps (acros, monti's, milli's), lps(candy,frogspawn, acan, chalice, acan bowerblonki, favia, gonastria), lots of polyps zoanthids and such and some Xenia I can't seem to eradicate. My problem is for some reason my brain corals(favia, gonastria) deteriorate slowly and I can't figure it out. I've tried placing them in different parts of my tank but they still seem to be unhappy and recede. Let me know what you think the problem is cuz this is really frustrating me. I got the favia a couple months ago and this slow receding process is on going and now I got a gonastria and its not looking as healthy as when I got it 5 days ago.

Thanks for the input I really appreciate it

Params:
Nitrates 0
Phosphates:0
Ammonia:0.1
Calcium:410
Alkalinity:125
Salinity:1.025
Ph:8.3
Temp: 78.4

I'm not sure if the ammonia is detectable or not when I test and am unsure I just say the reading is higher than I think. If I have ammonia it's close to none

And I have two 48 inch current LEDs whites at 50% and blues at 85%
My tank is 48 inches long and has 18 inches of water depth with the lights 1 inch above the water

My sps are doing great I thought I might have been too much light so I put the favia under a cave kinda protecting it from the light. So idk I'm dumbfounded with this. I just read somewhere that it could be my tangs nipping at it, iv never seen it but who knows

If you've never seen it happen, chances are it didn't. The effects of light, (more or less) take weeks to see, so if you just put it under the overhang, it may be a little while before you see it recover. LPS must be acclimated a lot slower to LED lighting than sps IME. Just a guess.

That might be it then I'll acclimate them slower and see if it helps from now on thanks for the help I appreciate the advice

Back
Top Bottom