Branching hammer coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshuA c

Aquarium Advice Freak
My branching hammer coral hasnt been fully extended for a couple of days. It changed within 24-36 hours, which is quite rapid. The bulbs are the same size, but the arent as long as normal, by quite a bit. It changed when I added my cardinals and started feeding them some thing new. I used to feed produced foods (pellets and flakes) and just started on mysis shrimp. The params are fine and salinity and pH. Any help would be welcome.

I have one, they are sensitive to nitrates, check calcium levels, maybe a flake fell on it and didnt like it but if they are ok just does it for no reason and comes back better than before after a few days :) also maybe it has settled and wants to start growing more heads which is even better! mine started with little brown dots on the branch and then started branching from the dot i got worried at first think it was brown jelly starting but thankfully not just keep an eye on it and let us know how you get on :)

So when they grow new heads they stay more closed?

Well all I can figure is maybe they using more energy to create new branches or existing heads getting bigger. I can only comment on my own branching hammer coral as this is what it seems to do some times does it when it poos :) but I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you can't see brown jelly and it not retracting into it's skeleton.

I had the same thing happen to mine. I just did a water change and he came out. Maybe your nitrates got alittle high for it.

My Little Ocean said:
How long have you had it? How high in the tank is it? What fish do you have?

A couple months. 2 feet tall. 2 cardinals, a tomato clownfish, diamond goby.

I have two separate heads andthey are both still small. They aren't shriveled, just small. Could I be the water quality. I don't have a protein skimmer and I don't at minerals

I dont know abot my calcium, but my sg is on the high side

High side 1.025? Temp? This coral needs high calcium around 450 maybe it's used it up that's why it's sulking all of a sudden?

Also the reason I ask what temp and S.G your running at as you need certain combinations to get the correct salinity

Well my sg is 1.025 and the temp is about 81. I don't have a chiller so it's on the high side

Back
Top Bottom