Brand New Saltwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TranceClubMusic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just finished setting up my very first Saltwater Fish Tank. I hope the attached pictures come out OK. I am using the Emperor 280 Bio Wheel Filtration System and was wondering if it was harmful in any way to use the Black Diamond Activated Carbon Filters that came with the System. From what I understand many use this Brand Filtration System for Freshwater and I wanted to know if Activated Carbon was harmful to anything in a saltwater fish tank.
Thank you. :?:

Carbon is definately benificial in a saltwater tank. There are different opinions on how long you can leave it in. Some say it is inhert after 2 days...others say a week or a month. Some say that it will leech toxins back into the water after a certain point...others disagree. I personally have seen on evidence to back up any of the time frames, but usually leave mine in about a week before changing it out. Carbon is used to pull everything from toxins to meds out of the water. Its also very effective at polishing and removing the yellow tent from the column.

HTH
Squishy

SquishyFish said:
Carbon is definately benificial in a saltwater tank. There are different opinions on how long you can leave it in. Some say it is inhert after 2 days...others say a week or a month. Some say that it will leech toxins back into the water after a certain point...others disagree. I personally have seen on evidence to back up any of the time frames, but usually leave mine in about a week before changing it out. Carbon is used to pull everything from toxins to meds out of the water. Its also very effective at polishing and removing the yellow tent from the column.

HTH
Squishy

OK the reason why I ask is because before I put in the Carbon Filter - my water was crystal clear - as you can see from the photos I now have a slight haze - which I asume will go away in time.
Speaking of time frame - the box actually states to change the Carbon filter every month - after 4 weeks the carbon is useless according to the package inserts.

The haze....maybe I should have asked this to start with, but how old is your tank? Did you cycle it?

What are your water parameters?

Welcome to AA!!

as you can see from the photos I now have a slight haze - which I asume will go away in time.

Did you rinse the carbon under cold tap water before putting it in the filter? May have got some carbon dust in the tank if you didn't. It will settle in time.

Speaking of time frame - the box actually states to change the Carbon filter every month - after 4 weeks the carbon is useless according to the package inserts.

I actually change mine every two weeks instead of four. Some people change it every week. I think four is pretty much the maximum for carbon, IMO.

SquishyFish said:
The haze....maybe I should have asked this to start with, but how old is your tank? Did you cycle it?

What are your water parameters?

The tank is going on 5 weks old.
I just brought my water to the fish store and they told me to wait 2 more weeks before I buy anything. When they tested the water the ONLY item of of whack was the PH - and the guy at the fish store told me that this was still only slightly high and common place for the cycle to complete.

I dont understand what "water parameters" mean.

I didnt buy a "test kit" cause they start at $60.00 and also since the fish store is literally 5 mins away - I figured let me abuse THIER test kits as much as I need to :lol: So I test my water every Sunday as a habit. :wink: The ONLY test I did buy was the Salt Water thingy.

Biggen said:
Welcome to AA!!

Did you rinse the carbon under cold tap water before putting it in the filter? May have got some carbon dust in the tank if you didn't. It will settle in time.

I actually change mine every two weeks instead of four. Some people change it every week. I think four is pretty much the maximum for carbon, IMO.

First I was taken back by the "Welcome to AA" - I thought I was in Drug rehab! 8O

2nd - No stupid me didnt READ the package that says "SHAKE AND RUN UNDER COLD WATER :roll: So I hope haze goes down soon :twisted:

3rd - Oh my 2 Weeks! :eek: changing Carbon Filter every two weeks would be very costly. A 2 pack costs $14.00!!! 8O

Welcome to an expensive hobby :twisted:
To save on costs--look around, including online. Many people like bigalsonline.com and I have bought off eBay. There are MANY more places to look for good deals.

There should also be a gray basket to put the media of your choice in, you can always buy a jar of GAC and add it to that, it tends to be less expensive.

Water parameters...the basic ones are ammonia, ph, nitrites, and nitrates. It can get a bit more advanced...but those are the basics.

You can get Salifert test kits on line relatively inexpensively. They are well worth the investment for the long term serious hobbyist. At least get the basic ones...

If your ammonia and trites are down, and your 5 weeks into it, I would think he is right...its prob just residue from the carbon. Usually after washing it, you wont see the haze, but maybe you missed some.

Good luck,

Squishy

reefrunner69 said:
There should also be a gray basket to put the media of your choice in, you can always buy a jar of GAC and add it to that, it tends to be less expensive.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Yes there is an empty Grey Basket! Great idea! Now that I see that option - Do you recommend using any other media in that grey basket? :?: :idea:

quote]

I dont understand what "water parameters" mean.

[/quote]

Parameters...ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, ph. There can be more, but those are the basics.

Do you recommend using any other media in that grey basket?

There are many options, but the only thing I use is cabon, I use the Marineland Black diamond, but I get it from walmart (there aquatech brand is the black diamond carbon packaged specifically for walmart by marineland) and it's about half the price of Black Diamond GAC in the LFS ;)

reefrunner69 said:
Do you recommend using any other media in that grey basket?

There are many options, but the only thing I use is cabon, I use the Marineland Black diamond, but I get it from walmart (there aquatech brand is the black diamond carbon packaged specifically for walmart by marineland) and it's about half the price of Black Diamond GAC in the LFS ;)

Cool :D Thanks for the info!

I use the Marineland Black diamond, but I get it from walmart (there aquatech brand is the black diamond carbon packaged specifically for walmart by marineland) and it's about half the price of Black Diamond GAC in the LFS

I didn't know that!!! I have been purchasing the large containers of Black Diamond online for a while now... Next time I am in Wal-Mart I will be heading to the fish aisle.

Is there such a thing as "too much carbon"? If I use the Carbon Filter AND fill the empty Grey Basket with GAC is that too much?

Depends on how you look at it. There is really no such thing as too much carbon (within reason of course) insofar as it being detrimental to the system. However, you can have so much carbon in the system that adding more has no more desirable effects. In other words, you are just wasting money...

;)

OK I figured out what was making my Tank slightly hazy. Since I have Live Sand - the Filter was slightly lifting the sand and made my water look hazy. I lowered the sucking power of the filter and WOW!!!!! Its like Crystal clear now!

and I just bought a Red Apple! WOW Its gorgeous!

Wait...you put a Red Sea Apple in a bran new tank? Hopefully you wont have problems, but when those things die, they can take out a whole tank. They excerete a toxin that kills everything. I personally saw one apple take out a whole wall unit at a pet store I was working at (long time ago). Its not pretty....

Squishy

Back
Top Bottom