Broken leg.... help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltyfishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My sand sifting starfish has a broken leg. He is cruising across the sand dragging it and it is upside down like it is twisted. What should I do with him? This may not be a big deal but I cant find any info on this type of situation..... please help me.... I feel so bad for him =(

I don't believe there is any healing you can expect. They often perish and almost melt away when they starve since they rely on that sifting to eat. Leg falling off doesn't sound unusual.

When I target feed my corals I put some mysis or brine shrimp in the sand and he usually finds it, so I dont think he is starving.... but I could be wrong. I dont have him in my newer 55 either, he is in my well established 30 gal for now...... Should I just take him out or watch for the leg to come off and then remove the leg? I dont want him dead in there and decomposing or his leg.

Well his leg come off now and now he is back down in the sand, guess I will wait and see what happens. Thanks for the help. Maybe he has eaten all he has to eat and starving.... It makes me feel really crappy for even getting him and listening to others opinions about what to do for your sand bed. I wont be getting another one.... EVER.

I just made an order for some more of those snails, I love the few that I have now. I am trying to find someone that will take this star fish that has an older tank that may can feed him but it may be too late for him. As of this morning he was still sifting around in the sand..... so IDK
Thanks for the help guys.

I hope their legs wont regenerate b/c I threw it out in the yard (oops)

Haha no not the leg, the star will generate a new leg! Not the leg generate a new star! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Ha ha... I went and looked that up after reading that and was like "crap, how do you delete a reply?" lol. What made me wonder was b/c his broken off leg was still crawling around.... (creepy) Well maybe he will grow a new leg and be fine. I still squirt some brine shrimp in the sand for him..... Glad I could make you guys laugh a little. I know I did. Feel like a dummy, but oh well.

Back
Top Bottom