brooklynella advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunkdent

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I bought a 29 gal established SW tank from a guy who was graduating college and moving out of state and just didn't want to try and preserve it while traveling so far. He told me it had been up and running for about 4 years and he had never had any major issues. I'm brand new to the hobby myself but I've done tons of research. I'm the kind of person who has to know all about something once I get interested...any ways I set the tank back up at my home and the nitrates were super high I'm talking 80ppm.. so I did a 75-80% water change and waited 24hrs at which time the lvls were down to 15ppm. I went to my lfs and purchased 2 clown fish. They took to the tank instantly. The second morning one was completely covered in a white film and had white spots all over its sides..its color had faded entirely. obviously something was wrong and the other one was showing signs of white spots. When I went back to my lfs to ask for their help I walked by the clownfish tank and ALL of his were in the same if not worse condition than mine. He told me it was brooklynella and gave me some paragaurd...but it was too late for my fish. this was 4 weeks ago. What is the best/easiest way to make sure its gone from the tank completely before I add a new fish??? I have 3-4 hermit crabs and 1 snail right now but other than that and 50lbs of LR and 20lbs of LS those are the only living things in my tank. Any and all advice is welcome!:thanks:

Thanks, I'll give those a shot. I have been told/heard so many different things idk what to do.

Leave your tank fallow(no fish) for 4 more weeks ..that will kill off brook and ick..Your hermits and snails can stay ...

Thats been the common suggestion.. I had somebody tell me to put my inverts in my QT and wrap my LR in wet newspaper and put it in an airtight container, drain my tank, and let my sand dry out then start over again basically...but the tank is fully cycled and everything now and I figure its 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other at this point. It's easier to just let it sit. Since inverts can't host brook would it be ill advised to put another couple of crabs and a snail and such in during the waiting process??

Thats been the common suggestion.. I had somebody tell me to put my inverts in my QT and wrap my LR in wet newspaper and put it in an airtight container, drain my tank, and let my sand dry out then start over again basically...but the tank is fully cycled and everything now and I figure its 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other at this point. It's easier to just let it sit. Since inverts can't host brook would it be ill advised to put another couple of crabs and a snail and such in during the waiting process??
You can add more inverts ,,but they "may" have ick on them..
Remember inverts can not host ick,meaning ick gets no benefits from an invert ,but it can settle in for a ride ..Its not all that likely but is proven that inverts have been known to transfer ick from tank to tank..Especially when coming from an infested tank like the one you saw at the LFS...

brooklynella is so vicious! It took out both clowns within a day of me noticing it and after treating them, at the time I didn't have my QT so I had to put them right back in the DT. I bought a different fish (from the same place) and had him living in the QT so I could have him for sure parasite free by the time the DT was ready for him. I had him for 3 days and he died... brook..everything in the QT was brand new and it was nowhere near the DT..so I figure the lfs might be having a pretty heavy out break and since all the tanks are circulating the same water though one another its only a matter of when they will show up with it most of the time. I guess some fish don't stress out as bad as other fish...:fish2:

Yes brook is nasty..Formalin baths are the best cure..Only if caught in time..It will kill fish in 48 hours,sometimes less..
I would find another LFS
True some fish stress easier ,but all fish will be a host for it,and usually end up dead..A lot of fish can fight off ick ,but a lot can't ..Why risk it

I was really sad...I hate to see them suffer.. it looked like a terrible way to go but I could only do what I could do. I haven't been back there since the last fish died about 3 weeks ago. There is only one other legit SW LFS near enough to me I feel comfortable with the fish being in the bag as long as it would have to be lol
From the time I first noticed the fish was sick to its death was about 6 hrs, the day before they were bright beautiful and happy as could be. Crazy!

I was really sad...I hate to see them suffer.. it looked like a terrible way to go but I could only do what I could do. I haven't been back there since the last fish died about 3 weeks ago. There is only one other legit SW LFS near enough to me I feel comfortable with the fish being in the bag as long as it would have to be lol
From the time I first noticed the fish was sick to its death was about 6 hrs, the day before they were bright beautiful and happy as could be. Crazy!
I had a great family owned LFS close its doors a couple years ago,,now i buy all fish online ..Its been pretty good

how does that work? I would be afraid there would be a boiled fish on my doorstep! lol

it gets quite toasty in the spring/summer here

Back
Top Bottom