Brown algae/live rock problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lpn4

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, my lfs says that their live rock is out of water for 2 days during transit to their store, and also bags the live rock in just plastic(not water in bag) to send home with me. Is this ok? How do I know that the live rock's good stuff did not die on the way to the store? Everything I have read says do not take it out of water. 2nd, I have brown algae in my 20g nano FOWLR. 20-30 HOB canister filter with sponge and biofoams, no powerhead just yet, salinity is 1.018, ammonia and nitrite 0, ph 8.4, nitrate 10. 15% wc weekly. 2 algae eating crabs, and a couple of sneak in snails. Can I turn the lights off for a couple of days to rid the tank of algae? I hate to do this, because the last time I dimmed the lights because of ich, I lost all of the color to my live rock. It's all white now, except for the new brown algae.

doing a wc now. I have read that this brown algae is normal in a new saltwater. Have u seen this before, and does this algae turn into a green or purple "good" algae?

No, what you are seeing now are diatoms. I have them in my tank too currently. It is normal for a new tank like yours and mine. Coraline algae, the purple, will come with good water conditions. I have a good amount growing on mine currently due to my tank being seeded with the stuff from coral frags and margarita snails. To get rid of the brown, cut down on nutrients, do more PWC, and cut back on how long your lights are on.

U need to up ur specific gravity if u want ur inverts to not die

Back
Top Bottom