brown colored spot -- ick? i don't think so...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
I awoke this morning to find a spot on one of my clowns. It reminds me of a pimple (wrong color) -- the surrounding area under the skin appears to be swolen, similar to the way a pimple grows under the skin. The lesion that is visible on the outer skin is brown and larger than a grain of sand. It is brown... definitely NOT white.

I have 2 clowns and a royal gramma in a FO aquarium (some snails, crabs). I've had these 3 for about 4 weeks. All 3 ate well last night. They have not been fed today. I have recently reduced feedings as my ammonia, nitrite, nitrate were recently up a bit, I believe due to over feedings. The ammonia is now zero, nitrites and nitrates coming into line quickly. I am also doing more frequent water changes. All 3 fish are behaving well to this point, fins and eyes look fine.

This somehow does not look like the photos of ick that I have seen. Thre is just the one lesion -- the fish is not covered in spots. It is definitely larger than the pinpoint white spots that I'm seeing in photos of ick.

I can't snap off a clear enough photo to post, sorry.

Does this sound like ick? Something else contageous / not? It is definitely a "spot" on the skin, but all of the photos of ick that I've seen show it as a bright white spot. What do you recommend? Should I move this fish to a QT? The others are not picking on him, but if it's contageous I'm sure he should be removed. If medication is the recommendation, I'm looking for something that I can order online and have shipped overnight.

I had a smiliar thing happen to one of my Percs. After 3 weeks in QT, and no signs of disease I released him and his mate. Another 2 weeks they were fine. Maybe about 10 days ago he got a brown spot on his side. Its still there but starting to fade back to orange.

I can't be sure but I think its a bruise.

I had it happen to one of my clowns also. I just guessed it to be a bruise or scratch from somewhere in the tank. Maybe someone else had this happen. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom