Bruises?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmkx3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a new 125g tank that I just added 5 fish to. 2 false perculas and 3 green chromis. One of the green chromis died on the second day. after he died he had purple fins. He didn't have these when he was alive. one of the other chromis has what looks like to me bruises on his sides. He is eating and swimming like normal. I'm just concerned about the discoloration. The fish that died never really came out from behind the rocks. I figuired I lost him to stress.

How long has this "new" tank been set up and was it properly cycled? There are several problems that can be associated with what your describing but the more common ones to this species are Vibrio or Uronema. In your particular case and the possible newness of your tank, more likely ammonia toxicity or problematic pH.

Please give a complete rundown of your set up and the actual numbers for your water quality. I would suggest answering as many question from the posted sticky as well.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=35591

Cheers
Steve

my readings are as follows
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20
ph 8.2

I added the fish a week ago. I have been testing the water every other day because I had a very light cycle. Most of my rock was fully cured and even after adding cocktail shrimp I only got a reading of 0.50 for ammonia and a very small nitrite reading. I took out the shrimp waited for everthing to go to 0(2 weeks) and added my fish. There is a small amount of picking on each other but not really bad.
They are eating a marine flake by tetra and frozen brine. There are no spots only "bruises'' no flashing. I haven't added any meds to the tank. I didn't Qt . I acclimated them by floating them and adding water from the main tank every 15 min, for about 45min. I haven't used any additives.

equitment
prizm pro
125lbs sand
70lbs lr
1200 maxie jet
aqua king hob (to run carbon and added circulation)
standard lights
ecbo jagger heater(temp 80)

I think that is all the questions. :?:

A QT may yet be needed if this does not clear up on it's own. If the "bruises" progress at all, you should have that QT ready for their transfer. You can read that here...
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/quarantinetanks.html

I would do a few large water changes in the interim. It may still be a problem with acclimation, bacteria or possibley a viral issue. If simple bacterial, the water changes may show some improvement. I would also rethink your food choices. Flake are not that great and depending on who manufactured the brine, it's not much better. I would switch to some frozen cube foods that contain both meat and vegetable items to cover a balanced diet. Wouldn't hurt as well to augment the foods with a good liquid vitamin and garlic extract.

Should this get worse or any additional symptoms appear, please post back immediately. Be sure to get that QT going though. I would also read up on proper acclimation techniques....

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=18

Any bloody lesions or scales standing on end? Do the "bruises" look like streaks or patchy?

Cheers
Steve

The chromis are acting normal as far as eating and swimming are concerned. I do have a 10g that I am going to use as a qt. It has a single guppy in it right now and I need to find him a home. The bruises are patchy and I noticed last night when I fed that the color got darker and after a while faded back. Their are no bloody lesions that I can tell and the fish with the bruises scales do look different from the other fish but I don't think their raised, just bigger and maybe not as smooth. The food I got was what was available at the lfs. It was $8. What a waste. I know thats not alot of money but now I need to get something else. Thanx for your help

:? Tinia

Chromis can be somewhat difficult to diagnose so best not to jump to conclusions at this point. I would definately proceed with getting that QT going as it may yet be needed. Even if not needed for this particluar instance, all future additions to the display tank should end up there first.

As far as the problem at hand, a fish passing is a definate concern buy could easily be from stress or improper acclimation. Since it has only been two days since introduced, I would surmise acclimation. As far as the bruises, this is where it can get difficult. The larger scales on the chromis can reflect light much more than your typical fish and give the appearance of discoloration when it's simpley a trick of the light.

The thing to watch for here especially if you do not have history on the clowns predating you, is the possibilities of Brooklynella, Vibrio and/or Uronema.

The main symptoms to watch for being: bloody lesions, excess body mucus, color loss, loss of appetite, surface gulping, heavy gilling, scales on end, red blotchy appearance, gaping mouth and general lethargy.

For now at least I would work on the QT and perform those water changes I suggested earlier. Just be sure the change water is well aerated/heated a day in advance to allow the chemistry to normalize. Do a change every other day for 7-10 days and about 20-25%.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom