Bubble tip anemone problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kgriffith

Aquarium Advice Regular
My bubble tip anemone was looking fine until today, I returned home and his tentacles have deflated and he has a much smaller appearance. I preformed the smell test and he isnt decomposing. Wondering if this is normal? I added a koralia 4 today to help reduce nitrates(pointing at live rock) Could this have affected him? I thought that anemones will move if they dont like the current? Thanks for your help guys.

It could be he's irritated and will eventually move. Or, it could be he's expelling wastes. Sometimes they look like death when they... go. :) I think it's too soon to worry and would just keep an eye on it.

He is doing much, better, I jumped the gun a bit. Just didnt want to lose fish because I didnt pull it quick enough.

I am examining my lighting though and I think it might not be enough.
Corallife 10k f40-t12-bp and coral sun 420 acintic blue.
I have 4 more open spots for lights.

Should I ditch my ballasts and switch to mh? They are currently val miser twin 40 watt max. I am sure this isnt enough for any corals right? 4 wats per gallon would be 360 and I only have 75-100.

Any thoughts?

If you only have 100W of lighting (for a 90g?) I'd say that could be a big issue. Not an anemone person, but I don't think that's anywhere close to what it wants. How long have you had it?

Yes I think some more lighting will be needed. MH`s would be good if you could get them. How much more lighting would you have if you filled in all the slots?

240 watts max if I used all available slots. I think im gonna get a mh retro kit if I can find one thats reasonable.

You have f40-t12 tubes. Nowhere near enough light. You may want to look at a 6 - 8 tube T5 setup with individual parabolic or least rounded reflectors. That should give you plenty of light.

Why do think that increased flow will reduce nitrates? What your nitrates now?

anenomes will deflate and inflated often usually lack of food causes the anenome to shrink but could just be irriation. the lighting should be upgraded as anenomes are still quite dependant on light even though they eat more than corals. how long have you had the anenome and what type?

Back
Top Bottom