bubble tip green anemone wont come out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waynespedd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:confused:hi peeps just wonded if u could help just brought a green bubble tip anemone first couple of days he was fine but when i turn the lights on in the morning he wont come out the only way i get him to come out is if i move the rock hes on then hes happy all day! also in the morning he always chucks out a little brown gunge from his mouth, im new to these guys but any help would be good

Anemones are the same as any other lviing organism, it's going to migrate to the area that it finds most suitable. Unfortunatley that's the name of the game, and moving to the back it may have found it's most favorable spot.

I can't tell you exactly what's comming out from it's mouth, but generally I have never seen this as a good sign. How old is your tank (How long has it been cycled?)? The general rule of thumb is 6+ months before adding any sort of anemone to the tank (They do best in mature tanks where your water parameters arnt bouncing around as much).

hi there my tanks only 2 months old so i think ive jumped the gun buying it! i feel bad now poor thing!!!!! like i say if i move the rock hes on he come out all day but when i turn lights on in the morning hes closed rite up so far in the gap of the rocks but even after 2 to 3 hours still no sign of him coming out but then i move the rock and he seems happy and the clowns love him, thanks for getting back bbecher

What type of lights do you have? The stuff that comes is when the expel wastes.

hi joy i have t8 i was told they dont need alot because they come from deeper in the water! so is this stuff he chucks out ok

thats actually is not true all anemones need lots of light, you can keep them wit 2 54w t5 at a minimum, well at least condy nems
so why when i move the rock to get him out hes happy all day?????? its just once lights go out the next day he wont come out on his own:(

i had the same problem with mine, h was my first coral but then he died, anyways.... thats a good question, he is probably acting like a teenager, jk

The anenomes like to shade their foot so they`ll move that to an area where they can hide that part and swing out to get the light they need. You`ll need more lighting. Your LFS gave you some bad advice. Also what are your water test results? Anenomes need to be in a very mature tank of at least 9 months to a yr. Another thing your LFS forgot to tell you.

I wouldn't move the anemone around too much. It's actually quite stressful for them. If it keeps moving it's because it's not happy where it is.

Also, beware of powerheads.

My Green BTA moved to the back of my tank like 6 months ago and hasn't come back out since. I can barlely see him from the side of the tank but he appears to be doing quite well. It's his loss as I can no longer target feed him. He doesn't seem to care though :)

Bottom line is these guys are living creatures and you really can't force it to stay in one place. Rarely will one actually like the spot you pick out for it.

The anenomes like to shade their foot so they`ll move that to an area where they can hide that part and swing out to get the light they need. You`ll need more lighting. Your LFS gave you some bad advice. Also what are your water test results? Anenomes need to be in a very mature tank of at least 9 months to a yr. Another thing your LFS forgot to tell you.
i levals are not settled they up and down at presant due to tank only 2 months old, looks like i will lose him in time, shame when hes out hes lovely looking and the clowns love him, not sure wat to do for the best really because if i keep him he prob die. thanks people

waynespedd;1049327not sure wat to do for the best really because if i keep him he prob die. thanks people[/QUOTE said:
not necessarily i got 4 nems the very first week after my tank got cycled and 2 just died one got killed by a power head and the last one its looking really good it grew tons and it changed colors from really white to brownish to camouflage to my lr he/she is attached to, and hasnt moved from that spot sicne got got there

Hopefully he is just adjusting to his new home. It is kind of crazy they eat and go to the bathroom from the same place there is not a nicer way of putting it that I can think of. I researched them before deciding my tank wouldn't sustain one.

As said on the first page, Anemones will hide there foot somewhere in the shade and can extend quite far to reach the light. Stop moving him around, He'll move to what he likes. Also, You'll need to invest in some stronger lighting. Are you target feeding the anemone? If so, What and how big? because they will spit out what they dont like or is to big for them if you feed them the wrong thing.

As said on the first page, Anemones will hide there foot somewhere in the shade and can extend quite far to reach the light. Stop moving him around, He'll move to what he likes. Also, You'll need to invest in some stronger lighting. Are you target feeding the anemone? If so, What and how big? because they will spit out what they dont like or is to big for them if you feed them the wrong thing.
hi again ive been feeding him cut up prawns he seems to like them ive had no discharge from his mouth the last to mornings! i had to save him this morning he must of moved and let go and got caught on the skimmer pumps air intake i manage to get him off but he has damage his side a little bit ive put him back on the rocks and he seems ok touch wood

I would not feed him for now. Mine is 11 yrs old and never been hand fed. He gets all he needs from the lighting and water column. BTW just so you can see an eleven yrs old green bubble coral.

100_2075.jpg

This what it looked like 11 yrs ago

img_1050076_0_77fe9529ac83b1b1ae905f547cc2b5f7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom