Can Refugium also be QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sipe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The LFS uses their algae tank filled with wrasses and cleaner shrimps as a "healing" tank for sick fish. These fish do great. He will put in sick customers fish, or ill-looking recent arrivals and they get better fast!!

Interestingly I just discovered this tank is in the same system as 2 of his big reefers 8O Makes since for the corals as its about a 100 gal refugium, but strange that there are fish in those as well which appear unaffected.

So my new question, Could I do this at home? Use my sump refugium as QT until fish look great and then transfer them above even though it's in the same closed loop?

its a safe place to allow sick fish to heal. but if the fish has any disease that is spreadable, then it does nothing.

you really need a QT tank for that. about 30 bucks gets you everything you need to do it right.

Is disease transmission in fish similar to that of humans. Most of us get viruses from direct human contact. Bacteria must find a susceptible host to infect. If a fish is the same way then the fuge/QT should work.

You're probably thinking it's in the water, but why in the sea would all these bad things affect everything on the reef if one animal were sick.

Also I ahsould have chanegd th order above of my adjectives
sick customers fish
should have been customers' sick fish :lol:

sipe said:
You're probably thinking it's in the water, but why in the sea would all these bad things affect everything on the reef if one animal were sick.

Ocean fish don't get stressed from shipping and also, the Ocean is kinda like the worlds biggest aquarium. one fish with a disease in a 400 trillon gallon aquarium is different than one fish with a disease in a 40 gallon aquarium.

Fish often spread diseases to other fish through the water. (ich, velvet, etc.) If the fish had damaged fins, the fuge would be fine. but new arrivals should always be QT to check for something worse.

-Matt

sipe said:
Is disease transmission in fish similar to that of humans. Most of us get viruses from direct human contact. Bacteria must find a susceptible host to infect. If a fish is the same way then the fuge/QT should work.
True the bacteria must find a susceptible host (usually lowered immune response) but a refugium would still not be the best option. In most home applications the "fuge" is moreso an algae scrubber than anything else. The abundance of DOC and possibley reduced O2 from lowered water flow typical of a refugium would actually make things worse. In all honesty, RocketSeason's suggestion for a proper QT is still the best one. If an infected fish gets to the point where it needs to be moved, it usually also needs to be treated and cannot be done so in an established system of any kind. Most often simple problems are helped best with multiple water changes using well aged/aerated SW and improved diet fortified with quality vitamins.

In regards to your LFS's practice, the fish most likely see an improvement due to the increased quality of their environment. The parasitic cleaning crew is just an anecdotal coincedence.

It's not the fact they aren't sick, it's the closed environment we keep them in that makes the difference. In a captive system the problem becomes "concentrated" so to speak. Wild fish quite often get parasitic problems but in the ocean when the parasite falls off to reproduce the fish moves on and the parasite does not have the opportunity to re-infect the same host. In your tank the fish has no where it can escape the parasite and becomes re-infected. As to bacterial problems, many fish in the wild become affected but it's moreso in human populated areas where pollution is constantly being introduced. The same theory applies though, clean water and a healthy diet will often see the fish recover on it's own if simpley bacterial in nature and caught early enough.

Cheers
Steve

Don't forget the refugium shares water with your main. Sick fish in the fuge means the same stuff will be in your main. Don't want that. Also, if copper treatment is needed for the sick fish, that definitely shouldn't be anywhere near your main.

In starting up a tank with curing and all does one need a QT initially since there are no existing fish to infect? I would wait until the curing process occurred and all levels are good.

What makes a good QT? size flow, etc.

no qt is needed to cure your rock, and your first fish can be put directly into your main.

for a good QT you need a 10 gallon tank. (provided your fish isnt to big for 10 gallon.) light, HOB or sponge filter, heater, a few large diameter sections of PVC pipe for hiding places. do not put in gravel, plants, etc. a QT should be bare bones so it can be torn down and cleaned easily.

Check out Quarrysharks gallery to see some good shots of a QT tank.

Walmart sells a 10 gallon tank with a hood light, and a HOB filter for 29.99. Not bad at all.

I would QT even the first fish. If a problem arises, you will need to recapture the fish which will further stress an already sick fish. Not to mention you will have introduced a parasite into an otherwise healthy system increasing your wait time and possible future problems depending on the ailment.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom