Chemiclean For Bulging Eye on damsel in FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saratj1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am wondering if Chemiclean red slime/Cyano remover would be a good treatment for bulging eye? My friend has a damsel that I gave to him that has developed bulging eye, I read up on it and found out that its a bacterial infection that can be treated with antibiotics.

I have some Chemiclean red slime remover which I understand is basically low dose Tetracycline. Would that be a good treatment. I used it for red slime algae and had no ill effects on my tank creatures in a full reef tank with fish, corals, shrimp, anemones ect.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Good Idea or accident waiting to happen?

*edit. Upon further investigation active ingredients in chemiclean maybe in question. Now I've read that its erythromycin not tetracycline which would be good also I suppose, but trying to pinpoint active ingredient of chemiclean to guess possible effectivness

Last edited:
The best thing for Popeye is pristine water conditions brought on by frequent PWC`s. Chemiclean is not a solution for popeye. It is a solution for cyanobacteria even though it is a temporary one.

Not helpful, more like condescending. Next please.

A. I know what it was brought on by. His trates were through the roof.

B. I know that chemiclean is for red slime, whether it's a temporary fix is debatable (what about people who use it once and never have red slime again?) antibiotics. tend to work on more than one type of bacteria, so if the active ingredient in chemiclean is a broad spectrum antibiotic , I would say its reasonable to assume that it may be effective on a different type of bacterial infection such as popeye.

Sorry if I rant I just don't feel like your comment was very constructive. Give me facts not negativity. Really just trying to help a fish not go blind or get flushed.

melosu58 said:
The best thing for Popeye is pristine water conditions brought on by frequent PWC`s. Chemiclean is not a solution for popeye. It is a solution for cyanobacteria even though it is a temporary one.

+1
Giving all the facts would actually be ranting on (melosu58 defence), you have a solution here.
I have a tang that had it I'm guessing from bumping into a rock and as my water is pristine it cleared up within a week.

Back
Top Bottom