Cig Smoke bad for tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd be more concerned with your own health than the aquarium.

Yeah I guess so. Although, my Grandmother is 75 years old and she has smoked for 50+ years. Go figure.

-Maximo

I've read that it isnt good for a fish tank, but I would also tend to think that youd have to be a pretty heavy smoker. Remember that Oxygen exchange occurs with the surrounding air, so any impurities in the air can also affect the water. I cant prove that, I've only read it.

She's very lucky and certainly the exception to the rule.. I'm not sure how much harm could be done to your tank, but I'm pretty sure nothing good can come out of it.

She does cough a lot and quite hard. Sometimes I expect to see a lung land in her lap!

I'll be driving down the street and see a good looking girl in the car next to me.. i'm thinkin "Hey baby!"... 90% of the time the next thing I see is her puffin on a cig. Completely turns me off. I dont understand how people get addicted to such a horrible thing.

-Maximo

your fish will all get cancer from second hand smoke!!! quit now,.... I did

Then you don't understand addiction. Its not an easy thing to quit.
It is mind over matter bottom line there is no such thing as addiction IMO

Let me clarify; I don't understand how poeple GET addicted to cigarettes. I've fully inhaled on a few cigarettes and after feeling dizzy and wanting to hurl I did not want to do it again. I have lived with at least one smoker my entire life. Seems like I would have been somewhat acclimated. So what draws people to do it again?

I do understand how one could get addicted to something like alcohol or sex or eating.. those things are enjoyable.. but cigarettes?

I don't mean to draw this out. It's just that I have lost many family members(at least 4) to cancers most likely caused by cigarettes. The day my Grandpa learned he had lung cancer he quit cold turkey.. he died a year and a half later.. my Grandma still smokes. I guess you are right.. I don't understand.

-Maximo

maximo you have never smoked so you dont understand. the first time you do it you get sick true but after many times doing it because you look so cool it becomes addictave plus not everyone gets that sick this is way off topic

divemasterjim said:
your fish will all get cancer from second hand smoke!!! quit now,.... I did

Then you don't understand addiction. Its not an easy thing to quit.

No such thing? Please....tell that to the thousands of families that have lost loved ones to these things. I smoked for 23 years and finally quit, it was not an easy thing. My point was directed at the poster, that it is a very difficult thing for many. After reading further posts I see that is understood. My heart goes out to maximo.... :oops:
BTW, the "bottom line" is not the same for everyone, many take it to their graves.
maximo, I don't think you need to worry about your tank.

Whats the Point?

You know, I have tried to keep my mouth shut, but after reading through the post, and threads, I cant. It seems to me that some people are always trying to cause a fight. Why?
I am all for everyone having their own opinion, but there is a way to have your input, without causing an argument. Please respect other opinions without being defensive, and argumentive. Peace Bro. :wink:

PS. I think that it could possibly hurt the fish in the longrun. IMO. :D

I agree with everything Rev. said. It's annoying when perfectly good discussions need to be locked because of one or two people spoiling it for everyone else.

This thread may have gone off topic but I think it happens to be a very important issue being discussed so I'm sure Maximo won't mind.

Maximo said:
Will cigarette smoke be bad for my marine tank?
In a round about way yes it will. Kinda depends on a bunch of things as to how much, airflow through the room, tank chemistry, the cigarettes themselves and so on. The airborne carcinogens are quite real but a major part of what is exhailed is actually steam as the lungs filter most of the rest out. Most of the problem lies within the smoke that is not inhailed when the lit cigarette is left to burn.

Best suggestion is be sure the tank room is well ventilated (open windows), the tank has good GPH and run with carbon to remove any poisons that may enter the water via foam fractioning (skimming) and normal gas exchange.

FWIW, whenever I have friends over for a get together or party, there is bound to be a few smokers in the bunch. I always make sure I have a fresh batch of carbon for the tank if so :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I wonder if the smoke would yellow acrylic???

I guess im not allowed to have opinions anymore and must candy coat everything since reality is to harsh for everyone. I dont try to pick fights I just call it as I see it

divemasterjim said:
I guess im not allowed to have opinions anymore and must candy coat everything since reality is to harsh for everyone. I dont try to pick fights I just call it as I see it

You are entitled to your opinions, however, I ask that you attempt to use tact and non offensive verbage when posting to sensitive topics.
Thank you.

IMO nothing I have posted is offensive, other then the post last night that was erased, it was suppose to be offensive to the person I was replying to

man I always have to edit my post because I hit submit before I spell check it

I am not going to argue the point with you. If you want to call it candy coated, fine, then please candy coat your posts. As far as offensive, if another person finds it offensive, then it is. Please do not argue the point further on this thread.
If you have issues with it, then pm me or an admin.
Once again, thank you.

Now now folks. We already had to lock 1 thread this weekend dont make us have to do it again.

If its good or bad for you is not the point. Nor is the point if its addictive or not. The question was is it bad for the tank.

I know many chain smokers whom have wonderful looking reefs. Smoking around a tank is not going to be the only factor in if a tank is sucussesful or not. Undoubtably the skimmer will produce more since some smoke will mix with the water and thus the skimmer will work to remove it.

other then the post last night that was erased, it was suppose to be offensive to the person I was replying to

Divemasterjim, I do request you go back and read the rules and regs post. Reguarless of whom a post is directed at intentonally offensive text is in direct violoation of the rules and regs. That is something we take very seriously.

Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't think smoke would help out any. How long is carbon good for? How often should I replace it?

Thanks,

-Maximo

Back
Top Bottom