Cladacora turning white

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
All of the cladacora in my tank is turning white. Is it because of the increased flow (adding the Mag 36)? I've also recently added the yellow tang and lawnmower blenny.

I noticed my condy is on the move (not near the cladacora) and that my brown cucumber is also changing/moving.

Any help?

An LPS turning white is usually a sign of zooxanthellae loss and a definate stress indicator. I wouldn't really suspect water flow as the culprit unless sustained for a good period. They will close up pretty quickly but it should not cause that kind of reaction.

Something like this would usually be the result of a chemical problem (recent water change or dosing), substantial change (increase usually) in lighting or coral warfare.

Anything there ring true?

Might also wanna check with reefrunner I think he has them as well.

Cheers
Steve

They came in on my LR. The only BIG change is the water flow. I'm moving about 800 gph+ into my sump now plus three PHs, whereas before I was moving about 75 gph into my sump plus three PHs.

The only suspect I would have would be the cucumber. The condy is just on the move, but it's all of the cladacora, not just the ones near him.

Could it be the coral has closed up so tight the skelaton is showing making it appear white? Any chance of moving it or placing something around it to block the flow some?

The condy should be fine once it finds the right low flow area. Most likely it will settle towards the middle of the tank depending on where the returns are directed. The cuke should be fine. The increased flow won't bother it all.

Cheers
Steve

Cladacora are just part of the LR...not going to be able to move those. I have them all over my tank, not just in one area, so blocking the flow is out too.

Back
Top Bottom