clam turning white

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weemanpow3

Aquarium Advice Freak
My clam is loosing its color and turning white. I have had this same clam for over 4 years and it has never turned white before. My second clam has turned white only once a couple years ago then returned its color, but now its starting to discolor also. I was on vacation for 4 days and my tank was feed by my brother. All my corals were looking discolored when I got back but they seam like they are slowly recovering. Can the heat be doing this to the tank or is it something else? I usually leave the air conditioner on when it gets hot, but it wasn't on when I was on vacation. Thanks

Normally both clams have a much brighter color and full expansion.

Note: Clam #1 looks way whiter if you were looking at my tank than the picture.

Clam #1
sq5r4j.jpg

Clam #2
2w254bs.jpg

I would guess the temp swings had something to do with it. How old are your bulbs and were they on a timer while you were gone?

The bulb im using is 250 watt 14k HQI. Its a little over 1.5 years old. I don't know how long they last, but I have a 3 month used extra one as a backup. And yes, always been on a timer. Lights on at 10:30am, off at 9:30pm. Im leaning more towards the high temperature swing while I was on vacation. All my pulsing xenia died when I got back.Im not worried about the xenia because it was cheap and grew way to fast. My clams on the other hand are too expensive to loose.

Well if its anything like a mogul based bulb, then that needs a change soon. The longest mogul bulb ive seen to keep its color output in our range is 9 or so months. but i wouldnt consider it to make that big of a problem that fast in such a short time period

Change the bulb and do a big water change. When xenia dies it leaves the water really polluted and nasty.

MH bulbs should be replaced every year at minimum. Probably 8 months since you are running them more then 10 hours a day.

+1 for the 1 year on the DE MH bulbs. But, I beleive the problem is the heat. I had the same issue when I was out of the country for a month and had a friiend stoppin gin once every 3 days to check and feed the tank.

Tank temp got into the upper 80's. Lost all my sps to bleaching, the clam was faded like yours, but made a complete comeback.

Also, if its a coralife or hamilton bulb, I wouldn't get those again. They are pretty low quality as far as MH bulbs go. Ushio, Icecap, and Radiums are what I most often see.

Back
Top Bottom