Cleaner shrimp deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_little_tetra

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I have had 2 cleaner shrimp die on me now, and I can't figure out why. I gave a 29 gallon FOWLER that currently houses one firefish and some snails and hermits.
My parameters are good: pH 8.2, ammonia 0, trites 0, trates 10, specific gravity 1.024.
The first shrimp I drip acclimated for only 30 mins. After doing reading I realized I did it wrong, so the second shrimp I drip acclimated over a 2 hour period.
Thoughts? I don't want anything else to die :(

I found by drip acclimating for too long the temperature would drop too much. I now drip as normal then undo the knot in the air line and let it run for a half hour to bring up the temperature. I hope this helps.

I drip acclimate everything: corals, fish, inverts for about 30-45 minutes and have never lost anything to that reason. Did you lose them immediately after acclimation or down the road? I

whats your tank temp
shrimp prefer cooler water between 76* and 80*
you also should check what salinity level there at , some lfs keep there salinity levels high and some keep them low
I raise shrimp and keep levels as high as 1.028 / 1.030
so acclimation period should be adjusted to slowly raise or lower salinity and temp and not stress the shrimp this could take up to 6 hrs if done correctly

When acclimating for a couple of hours you should have a small heater to keep the temp stable with the DT.

That is the first I have heard of drip acclimation for 6 hours...is that common practice?

I have my tank temp at about 82. Maybe that is the problem?

fish is about 2hrs
most inverts about 30min
shrimp is about 6hrs since they are more delicate and will not tolerate any type of swing in parameters by the time your finished it's all tank water the shrimp is in and no stress on release into tank

fish is about 2hrs
most inverts about 30min
shrimp is about 6hrs since they are more delicate and will not tolerate any type of swing in parameters by the time your finished it's all tank water the shrimp is in and no stress on release into tank

Wow 6 hours is crazy long. That just seems excessive. Once temperature and salinity match, in the tank they go. It usually takes me about half an hour to an hour to acclimate everything and I've never lost anything from acclimation. My cleaner shrimp does fine at 81-82.

Back
Top Bottom