closed polyps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edmonton Eskimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a button polyp frag that I have had for about two months. For the last couple of days a few of them have been closed while others are open. What is happening? It sits at the top of the tank.

When polyps close suddenly it could be a warning sign that your water quality is declining. Check your salinity and all other parameters. Check if your bulbs need replacement or the lid is dirty. Make sure there is no physical damage from any tankmates. If there is still nothing apparent just give them time, polyps are usually one of the most hardy corals out there.

If some are open I would not worry.. Mine do this from time to time not sure why? In fact my volley ball size button rock 3/4 of it was closed all day yesterday?? Today all is fine. Maybe they are reproducing? Are there other corals in the tank, if so how are they. If they are fine then I would just wait and see. Checking the water is not a bad idea..

I checked my water yesterday and everything is good except my nitrates are about 20ppm. Is that too high. sg is 1.023 ph is 8 and temp is 80. No I do not have any other corals but I do have a sebae anemone and he is fine as well as everything else.

5 - 10 gals...how often do u water change?

i do a 5 gal change to my 30 gal every 2-3weeks

Honestly I haven't done any water changes. I feel unless it is necessary the water that is in there is the best water. I add a few gallons of fresh water a week due to evaporation so until something happens to my parameters(like now) I don't think I'll do water changes on a scheduled basis. This is just me though.

You should do regular water changes, to keep these levels down. The trace elements in the fresh salt water is what will help your corals take off. I am just learning this. Also I believe corals are real picky when it comes to high Nitrates. :wink:

Edmonton Eskimo said:
Honestly I haven't done any water changes. I feel unless it is necessary the water that is in there is the best water. I add a few gallons of fresh water a week due to evaporation so until something happens to my parameters(like now) I don't think I'll do water changes on a scheduled basis. This is just me though.

You really need to do water changes in order to be successful, especially with corals. Once you get in a bad habit it will be hard to break.

I have been talking with a guy who has been caring for and selling saltwater fish and inverts for eleven years and he told me that he does water changes four times a year. All the specimens that I have bought from him are doing great.

Edmonton Eskimo said:
I have been talking with a guy who has been caring for and selling saltwater fish and inverts for eleven years and he told me that he does water changes four times a year. All the specimens that I have bought from him are doing great.

Essential trace elements should be replenished in a closed system. If he changes water quarterly he is probably dosing a lot of chemicals. Much cheaper and easier to do water changes IMO.

Ya agreed he is probably dosing with trace elements.

Until you have the experience, and the know hoe to dose, not to mention the test kits, you should do reg. water changes. :wink:

I'm not saying I'm not going to do water changes but I don't think I'll do more then one a month unless required. Salt mix is very expensive and I don't want to waste it. I'm not trying to be cheap or anything but I do test my water very regularly and I feel I'm on top of things. I'm not trying to move too fast neither allowing my biofilter to hopefully keep up with everything.Knock on wood

Ya once a month sounds fine. The thing with corals and water changes are that certain trace element can be depleted, and you can still have good test results. Just keep up a good routine and youll be good!! :wink:

:idea: If you do a 20-25% change monthly you will be fine. But doing 5% weekly will cost you about the same $$ in salt and be more effective.

Back
Top Bottom