cloudy eye - Radiant lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orion5221

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, my lion in the last day or two has devolped a cloudy eye in one eye. He is still eating, and all his fins and tail look great. and the water parameters are all within normal range. My hospital tank is up and running and I am moving him there tonight. After reading a few articles, I am coming to the conclusion that it is a bacterial infection. What should I use to treat him? penacillian? Thanks for all your advice!

If you truely believe that the lion has a bacterial infection in his eye, the yes, I would use penecillin, it is debatably the best antibiotic for eyes. Another option might be to cover all your bases and treat with maracyn and maracyn 2.

Monitor the fish closely during treatment, any treatment can effect the biological filter, and a cloudy eye is a symptom of several different issues, bacterial infection being just one.

Discoloured Eyes

Good Evening

my name is Brett i have experianced this same simptyms but they had more to do with pop-eye but the chemical i used was a bacterial based chemical and could be used for the same process it is (Tetra Marin Oomed (Oopharm)) try that and tell me how it goes.

From Brett
Quarantine Aquarist
Two Oceans Aquarium

I have read that tetra oomed had antibacterial properties, the problem is, that stuff is very hard to come by here in the US. It was ?outlawed/banned? a couple of years ago, I can't remember why. It alos has a tendency to stain the silicone purple (as well as any hand that works in the tank during treatment). Mostly what I've read about the stuff is how to rid your tank of flatworms with it.

schild27.gif
to AquariumAdvice.com!!

Cloudy-eye

Thank you for the welcome

i never new about the tetra products is that all there products and if so do by anychance know why they are band. the other we use is a product called (Nitrofurazone) and it is also a bacterial combating drug but if tetra products are band then i'm not sure that (Nitrofurazone) will be anymore freely available as it is a stronger drug than the Tetra products, but if you are able to get that it is a truly amaising drug we use it for just about anything including to heal specimen that have leasions.

Hope it was of use to you or someone

Nitrafurazone is easily found here in the US, funny thing about it is that it is supposes to be useless at SW ph, but I have found it to be a very handy antibiotic. I think the Oomed was banned because of contents, it is probably highly carcinogic or something like that. Another very useful antibiotic in the aquarium industry that we no longer have access to is Chloramphenicol, it was outlawed because it was highly toxic to humans, but it was very good in the aquarium trade.

Back
Top Bottom