cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peonleon2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a 45 gallon tank with 30lbs of live rock been up for over a year, more now. clean filters regulary and do a 5 gallon water change each weekend. i have a powerhead to move the water around. have 5 fish in the tank with many hermit crabs, snails.
A while back (month or two) i did a 10 gallon water change and not the regular 5 and usually the cloudyness does away after a hour or so but since then i havent gotten the cloudy water to go away. i have cleaned the inside and outside of the tank many times. i just want to get my water clear again. i just today got a seaclone protein skimmer to see if that will help me out but wont know for a while. also upgraded to a hight wattage lighting system but need some help in what to do or buy. if you need any more information please ask ill respond asap.

leon

Is this cloud green or white? It could be your new light system has sparked an algae bloom.

Do you let your newly mixed saltwater sit (with air bubbler or powerhead in it) for 24 hours before adding to the aquarium?

Anything recently caused the sand to be stirred up?

Any recent deaths or dissapearances?

Is it possible you overfed the tank at some point recently?

The protien skimmer should help, but there may be a root cause we can eliminate as well as tackle the effects.

i have a hang on filter that has the sponge, carbon, and biomas filters it is rated for a 50 gallon and my tank is a 45.

its not a green cloudy just isnt clear water like it use to be.
i have changed to ro water month ago(end of feb) and it sits a few hours with salt before i add it to the tank.
the only deaths that have happend was one of my fish i saw was being eaten by a crab and i also had a anenome and it died but i took it out of the tank since it looked sick before it had actually died. but could have done something then. not sure
i have a automatic feeder that feeds the tank 2 times a day. so overfeeding i dont think it would be. i can try to feed them less.
you mentioned a algae bacterial bloom by new lights but i added thoes after it had happend. they are brand new bulbs as well.
what would help get rid of a algae bloom? i will try it.
anyone got any help for me??????

A) When you do a water change, mix up the salt the day before and let the water sit overnight with a power head or an air stone in it. When you pour the water into the tank, take care not to pour in the last bit with the bits of precipitate in it. I don't think this is your major problem, just a tip.

B) If you can adjust your automatic feeder, move it to the minimal settings it will still funciton on. Unless you have a delicate species in there that needs frequent feedings, feeding as little as 3-4 times a week is good for the tank. (Tangs and some other Herbavores will benifit from constant access to real seaweed, but they don't need frequent flake additions.) How long have you been using an automatic feeder?

C) The timing of those deaths in relation to the appearance of the cloudy water could be important.

D) If you don't have any water test kits, I would suggest you purchase some. Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, and pH are the essential ones, along with a refractometer or a hydrometer to track salinity. If you've still got money left, a Phosphate test would be useful in this situation.

I'm betting your problem is excess nutrients. Many organisims in the water are feeding off the excess nutrients and multiplying in the water. A good microscope or a cheap nitrate test kit will likely confirm this. That automatic feeder is dumping in an unknown quantity of food twice a day, and you have no protien skimmer to remove the excess nutirents. Reducing food input and increasing nutrient export should solve this problem.

Ways to export nutrients:
Grow Xenia or seaweed (macroalgae) under bright lights. Trim them regularly, removing the trimmings from the system.
Run a good skimmer.
Perform frequent water changes.

Just wanted to add that flake is notorious for adding po4 to your tank which will lead to algae problems quickly if even slightly overfed.

I’d use frozen foods the majority of the time using flakes very sparingly. Unfortunately you can’t keep using your automatic feeder but IMO they do not belong on SW tanks in the first place since excess/unmonitored feedings can get you into trouble quickly.

Personally I like Marine Cuisine Frozen which is a good balanced diet and vitamin supplemented. Your lfs should stock it in their freezer.

I’d thaw the frozen in a small cup of tank water, and then drain the liquid that is packaged with it to keep po4 down. (You can use a sieve or a paper towel)

I use Kent Garlic Extreme, Selcon, & Zoe to help boost their immune. (I soak all my frozen in this for 30+ minutes)

Feeding every other day is best and only what fish consume in less then 5 minutes. If it not consumed in 5 minutes then reduce feedings slightly. If consumed in less then 30 seconds increase slightly with a second feeding the same day a couple of hours later.

Hara’s 10 Step Plan for Nuisance Algae Control should be helpful as well.

tecwzrd said:
Unfortunately you can’t keep using your automatic feeder but IMO they do not belong on SW tanks in the first place since excess/unmonitored feedings can get you into trouble quickly.
I'm not so sure they belong on FW tanks either. Might be nice alternative to letting your friend massively overfeed while you're on vacation, but on a regular basis it just either somewhat overfeeds or clogs when you're not paying attention to it. (Some models are better than others, but usually flake sitting in a humid enviroment falling down a chute is a recipe for a clogged chute.)

They don't belong on any tank. Feeders like that are bacterial infections waiting to happen. 8O

Cheers
Steve

I admit when I was single I did use them on my brackish tanks only when traveling out of town for 7+ days. I programmed mine to feed pellets every other day to my 7 large cichlids and it was about half the amount I would feed if I was there. I probably should have just asked a friend to do it but most of the time my travel was short notice (worked in IT field) and the auto-feeder was easy. I never used them if I was there and they do work most of the time IME.

I agree also that with SW in particular due to the more “pure” conditions that the use of an auto-feeder should be avoided completely.

IMO for FW/Brackish I would only use in emergencies if the fish can't be fed by a friend and if gone for more then 7 days and the use of floating pellets is far better then flake since as dskidmore stated they do easily clog.

Isn't that part of the fun, feeding and watching them?
I need suggestions for frozen foods, to use after I get rid of the new big container of flake (since that seems to be a semi "no-no").
On food, there are a ton of different frozen foods, from making your own to buying, what is the best/most popular/most nutritious? And where can I get it?
I don't like the gel based, since it sinks straight to the bottom (my fish lose track of it when it is on the substrate, my bristleworms and two shrimp love it.
I just got a bottle of ZOE, Selcore, Garlic Plus, soak the brine shrimp in those (and tank water), and feed the fish, but it doesn't seem like they eat a lot of that, the clown likes to eat it and spit it right back out...

Brine shrimp have very little nutritional value to fish and should be avoided IMO. Occasionally you could feed live brine shrimp that have been swimming in Selcon but I would do that sparingly as well.

Flake isn’t necessarily a complete “no-no” since feeding a varied diet is as important as what you feed.

Personally I like Marine Cuisine Frozen the most but I also feed bio-aquatics, Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Frozen,
nori daily to my Yellow Tang, & minimal flake once a week.

Most good lfs will stock all these and if they don't you can ask them to order it.

Ok, if I soak the brine in ZOE,and Selcore, is that ok? I actually tried to order Matine Cuisine Frozen (from thatfishplace , but they need a minimum of $30, but couldn't ship it untill 4/25 overnight (which is not a big deal, usually, but I will be in Philly for that week). So I will order it when I get back.

Most good lfs will stock all these and if they don't you can ask them to order it.

Mine tends to be a bit pricey on food and supplies, so I don't mind ordering them myself...

Frozen brine soaked in the vitamins is better then nothing but it’s better to feed quality frozen when you can get it. My lfs sells the frozen packages for $4 each which is usually cheaper then ordering online and shipping overnight.

Alternately you can make your own fish food by buying raw shrimp, clams, crab, fish, oysters, lobster, ect…

Dump all in a blender with a cup of ro/di or distilled water and the recommended dose of vitamins. Mix on the middle setting (not purée) for a minute or two until finely chopped.

With a small funnel slowly pour the mixture into mini ice cube trays and freeze for 2 days.

Then break them up and layer in a ziplock bag or freezer safe container separating them with saran wrap.

I wouldn’t make more then you can feed in a month and you can usually buy a months worth of food in small quantities from the seafood counter in most local grocery stores for around $10-$15

I’m lazy and don’t mind buying them since my lfs stocks it but I have done it in the past when I was land locked and didn’t have any place to buy it.

My fish/inverts go through about one tray worth of food a week.

1. The freezing doesn't effect the Vitamins?
2. Did you use any sepcific combo of raw seafood, or just all of them?

Thanks

Freezing doesn’t affect the vitamins and it’s good as long as it doesn’t get freezer burnt which is why I only make enough for a months worth of feedings.

Any combination of natural seafood is fine. I would try to at least combine two or three items and not just feed one so they get a good variety.

Note that freshwater fish and saltwater fish have diffrent amino acid balances. Try to feed freshwater foods to freshwater fish, and saltwater foods to saltwater fish. Freshwater shellfish are closer to saltwater balance than freshwater fish, so in a pinch they will do.

The nutritional balance of brine shrimp is highly variable, they are not automatically bad. Brine Shrimp are indiscriminate filter feeders. Anything of the right particle size goes into thier stomach and then they attempt to digest it. If the brine were well fed before frezing/live feeding, then they will be as nutritious as the food they were eating. I would not cut it out of a varied diet. If you buy live brine, give them something to eat, either a vitamin suppliment, or a green water culture, for awhile before you feed them to your fish.

Typically the live brine shrimp you get from the lfs has little nutritional value because they raise them without adding nutritional supplements to their diet. Even letting them swim in an enriched environment when you get them home does little because they are already fully mature and it will only marginally make them “healthier” for your fish since they can only consume a small amount of that enriched environment versus being in it from being hatched.

Also most of the brine shrimp sold frozen does not have an enriched diet.

You can buy frozen brine that has been fed an enriched diet like Ocean Nutrition Brine Shrimp Plus, SFBB Omega-3 Brine Shrimp, & SFBB Spriulina Brine Shrimp and feeding these enriched types of brand occasionally as a treat or for a fish that will not eat is fine.

The other brands of frozen like Marine Cuisine & Prime Reef have a much more varied selection giving them more protein, are vitamin enriched, and are much more beneficial for the fishes overall health and it’s immune system.

To make your own do a site search for "blender mush". Here's a few recipes (posts) I saved.

=========================================
Go to the FISH MARKET where you would buy FRESH FISH for your family to eat and purchase the following:

1 or 2 uncooked shrimp
A few fresh clams (in the shell)
Scraps of fish fillet (tuna, cod, salmon, etc.)
1 Squid, cleaned but not cooked
A few scallops

Remove the shrimp and clams from their shells and pat the meat dry on a paper towel.
Wrap each shrimp and each clam with plastic wrap and put in freezer overnight.
Wrap each of the remaining ingredients individually with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
The next day, carefully cut each frozen piece by using a serrated bread knife; trying to make thin slices, the approximate thickness of a nickel.
Continue to chop these small frozen slices to the size of a grain of rice.
Small pieces of fish will cut best when frozen. Put all of the chopped pieces into a small bowl and add enough Selcon Concentrate (shake first) to give the mixture a consistency similar to cooked oatmeal.
I also like to add a few scoops of Masago, which is the roe of Capelin or Smelt, commonly used by Japanese to make Sushi. The eggs are colored bright orange, approximately 1 mm in diameter and relished by all of the tank inhabitants. You can purchase small amounts of this in any oriental specialty store or perhaps a friendly Sushi restaurant.
The mixture can now be thinly spread onto a sheet of plastic wrap and frozen. Miniature ice cube trays or empty cube packs work very well also.
Make small batches of this recipe and make it frequently...Enjoy
==========================================================Go to the seafood counter and get the freshest of the following you can find. You don't need all of it but the more the better.

Fish (not fatty)
scallops
squid
clams or oysters
uncooked shrimp
crab (shelled)
anything else that looks good

Chop it all up in small pieces. Put it in a blender or food processor. Throw in a few healthy pinches of flake food. If you have any Krill add some of it too. Add a couple crushed multi vitamins (the people kind). Add a sheet or so of unseasoned Nori (seaweed used for wrapping sushi available at Oriental restaurants) and enough water to make a mush. If you want (I do) add a packet of Knox unflavored gelatin to hold it together better when feeding. Mix the gelatin in a small amount of boiling water before adding it. Blend some more. Pour this into pint ziplock bags until it is about 3/8-1/4" thick when the bag is flattened out. Lay the bags flat on a plate and put in the freezer. When frozen pull a bag out and chop it up into 1/2" cubes (or so). Put these into another baggie and store in the freezer.

==========================================================
add scrimp, clams, scallops etc...basically a little of whatever the fish shop has on hand. I add nori, cod oil, you can add selcon or zoe or some sort of vitamin. I use tank water to thin it out. Be careful it is real easy to blend it too long, the idea is to have a varying chunk size from liquified to fishy bite size. I like to put it in a quart size zip lock bag and lay it flat on a cookie sheet and then freeze it, break off what you need and feed

you could also add in some: zooplankton, phytoplankton, brine, mysid, bloodworms....ect.

Remember when you are blending it not to blend it to much. You are looking for pieces in many different sizes, ie: sizes for your fish, crabs, worms corals and so on. Make sure your Blender is real clean before u use it, run it under boiling water, (gets rid of any antibacterial dish soap that may be on it.

go to the grocery store and buy the uncooked raw shrimp and simply take off the shell. also concerning the different particle sizes i would just cut the meat up as best you can with a knife and throw half in the blender at the beggining so you blend that to almost a puree. then add the rest of the meat at the end to keep some larger pieces.

I add a portion of all the ingredients a little at a time, in stages, so the first bit you put in is liquified the next batch isn't quite as processed and so until you got a mix of particle and chunk sizes.

yes the food must be frozen after you prepare it, if not it will rot and won't be any good for more than a day. It really depends on how many fish your feeding. For three fish I add a small chunk, maybe 1/2" by 1/2".

if you go to a hobby store and look in the paint section, you'll find little plastic trays for a buck or so that have little dimples in them. The dimples are about 1/2-1" and usually about 15-20 on a tray. buy 10 trays. make your mush. pour the mush into the trays. put the trays in the freezer. when they're frozen, pop out your pre-measured mush lumps and feed as desired! (you could even pop them out ahead of time and put them in a baggie to save space in your freezer) They're paint mixing trays. They're used for mixing small amounts of paint to get a specific color. usually for painting models or figurines, etc.

For cleaning I just used a bit of vinegar in the blender and then in the hot water it goes. I also use the freezer bag like Kevin.

==========================================================
From Fish Freek
Equal parts of

Raw Shrimp
Raw Oysters
Raw Squid
Raw Tuna
Raw Scallops

(basically any type of available raw seafood)

Add to that some cut up sheets of nori, liquid vitamins and tank water to adjust consistency.

Unless you got really small ice cube trays you will be best to put it in freezer bags and lay them in the freezer at a thickness of no more than 1/4".

Note you dont need a lot of each individual seafood item. Less than a pound of each will make food for several months
=========================================

Back
Top Bottom