clown fish are not staying alive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sstanle4

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok all of our leavels are perfect. But we have had 2 mated pairs and they will not stay alive for more than one week. Ph is 8.2, am is 0, nitrate is 0, and natrate is 0. Its in a 14 gallon biocube with nothing else in there. Please help us our lfs does not care about us. Please help us.

What test kits are you using? Is anyone using cleaning agents such as windex or freebreeze near the tank? Do you have anything at all on your hands when you put them in the tank. You don't want to use scented soap on your hands just before putting them in the tank. What are the symptoms the fish are showing before they die. Are the gills red before they die? Give us a full run down on what you tank is, the equipment you use, where you get your water, etc. Have you checked for stray electrical current? Look for a heater that has broken glass. Hope that helps. Most of all, don't give up but don't put anymore fish in until we figure out what is going on.

We have had the tank up for about 5 months. We use the API test kit. We dont use any cleaning stuff around the tank. The fish were first swiming up at the top of the tank like they were gasping for air but the thing is all of the levels were perfect. Then they went down to the bottom and started to breath slow and then they died. Idk want is going on. This is the 2nd time this has happened. We have no clue what is going on.

Do u only test for Ph amonia niytrates n nitrates? Have u tested for phosphates, alkalinity etc. Are the test liquid or strips

Well i would never recommend to have 2 clowns in a 14 gallon. If you include sand and rock, there is probably 10 gallons of water, and even less swimming room. Thats not enough for two 20 gallon fish if you ask me. Not saying thats the only reason they died, but a contribution to it.

Yes i agree with the above, and were there any external problems with the fish after they were found dead? And this is 2 pairs? So 4 clowns have died? How long in between the addition of the pairs?

Ok. First we had a pair of small ones. We had not one problem out of them and we had them for 2 months but then we wanted to get a matted pair. So we took them back to get a matted pair. When we got them the female was about 3.5 inches and the male was about 1 inch. They were fine till one week after they started swiming at the top of the tank like they were gasping for air. We cked all of our levels and everything was perfect. We went to sleep that night and woke up and the big one had died. The small one was perfect. So we called the pet store and they said if we brought a water sample and everything cked out then they would give was another pair. So we did and everything cked out all good. So we got this other pair. Now they did the same thing as the other pair but it only took them 3 days to die. Again the female was about 3.5 inches and the male was a little bit bigger like about 1.5 inches.

pH=8.2, amonia=0, nitarte=0, nitrite=0,and we do the liquid

Do you think it could be because of low oxygen levels? if so do you think we need a protein skimmer?

I believe I posted on another thread of yours. Suggested pointing a PH towards the surface for gas exchange. I agree that 2 clowns are too much for a 14 but that wouldn't kill them in 2 weeks. Are there any other fish in the tank? Also, you don't need a skimmer for better oxygen levels.

My guess is you need more surface agitation. I would also recommend not replacing the clowns with more clowns. Maybe a firefish or something a little better suited for the tank you have. Also, point a powerhead straight up at the surface to make sure they're not suffocating.

I have a 1200 pump on it now and have a wave maker also. We just changed all the water with the LFS already cycled water and put in a pep shrimp

Just out of curiosity how did you cycle your tank? and how long ago has the tank not had fish in it since the cycle? Try getting smaller clownfish. By that time and size they can become very stressed when changing tanks. Also how do you acclimate them?

Tomchong22 said:
Just out of curiosity how did you cycle your tank? and how long ago has the tank not had fish in it since the cycle? Try getting smaller clownfish. By that time and size they can become very stressed when changing tanks. Also how do you acclimate them?

Again, I'll recommend not getting clowns. A 14 is small for a pair of clowns. Also, "cycled water" doesn't exist. The water doesn't contain the bacteria, your LR, LS, and any filter media does.

BallinCrew10 said:
Again, I'll recommend not getting clowns. A 14 is small for a pair of clowns. Also, "cycled water" doesn't exist. The water doesn't contain the bacteria, your LR, LS, and any filter media does.

The question is why his clownfish are dying. Not what he should get or should not get. The size of the tank is not what is killing the clownfish. I do agree that it might be a little small but that is for another topic. Let's try and stay on topic. And figure out the problem. If the clownfish are dying chances are other fish will also.

Also using water from a cycled and well established tank does contain beneficial bacteria and will speed up the process of cycling. Every surface area in a tank including the water contains bacteria. My main question is how did you cycle your tank? An how long did it take? Also what is your sg compared to the store where you are buying the clownfish?

And the water contains very little BB, certainly not enough to speed up a cycle.

We cycled tank for 3 or 4 weeks. Then added dansails for about the same time after.

sstanle4 said:
We cycled tank for 3 or 4 weeks. Then added dansails for about the same time after.

How did you cycle it? Shrimp? Pure ammonia? Just trying to get an idea of what could have gone wrong.

Back
Top Bottom