clownfish dead!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sHistA

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have cycled my tank for a month and about a week i did a 4 gallon water change. my ph is 8.00 nitrite 0 amonia 0 and my nitrate is 10. wen i put my clownfish in my tank about 5 days i go they were doing fine. then 3 days later one was twiching and the other one was really slow. the next daY I COULDEnt find them i think their dead why did thay die??

What is you SPG and water temp. How did you acclimate them? Did you use qt?

What did you use to cycle the tank with? Also, does your tank stay at 76, or does it fluctuate? Perhaps it is swinging too much? It shoul stay within a few degrees.

Mike

i used a raw shrimp to cycle the tank. and no i think the teperature stays around the same the most ive seen it was 77 and the least was 75.

Twitching may have been from a malady...did you QT them at all or did they go right into the display? Did you notice any physical sign (spots of any sort, etc.?)?

i did not qt them i put the bag in and waited 15 min then added a lin of my water waited 5 min then added a lim more a couple times and them put them in. they swam fine for 2 days. no there were no spots on them they looked fine.

too funny, but very typical for clowns, especially maroons. I have a pair in my tank. They are not the biggest fish in the tank, but no one messes with their area. :wink:

:oops: my apologies, I was just reading another post about a maroon clown that attacked the owners hands.

Sorry about you loss. :(

What kind of water are you using RO or tap? I would suggest you acclimate longer. I usually acclimate over 2+ hour period by placing the fish/inverts in small bucket an then creating a siphin from display with airline tube. Tie a know in tube so you only get a slow trickle.

Also, check with LFS as to what their sg is. alot of LFS keep tank at about 1.020 which would mean longer acclimation required.

that is pretty short acclimation time. i am not sure but they could have been stressed or "damaged" through the short accclimation time. also if this was your first live stock in a one month old tank the ammonia could have shot up very quickly with the addition of two new fish. how big is you tank?

steve r

How long ago did your tank finish cycling, was the shrimp already rotted and gone or was is still there? Had you done a large water change after the cycle completed?

my tank finished cycling about a week before i put the fish in. and no i only did a 3 gallon water change in my 44 gal tnak after cycle.

Back
Top Bottom