Clownfish faded color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moon444

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I’m a bit worried about my clownfish, one of them seems to be doing very well, but the other one seems to be doing more poorly. His color seems to have faded a bit. I’m not sure if it’s because of stress. Here’s some info about my tank:

1- I have had my clownfish for a little over a year now, and I believe they are tank raised.

2- They’ve been in the tank for about a year (since I got them, they were probably around 2 months old). The only tank mates are 3 turbo snails and they don’t show any aggression towards them. But my girl does show aggression to my boy by biting him and they fight each other often. (I believe they haven’t fully established dominance yet)

3- Yes they eat, they eat little pellets by the brand Hikari and they seem to like it. I don’t feed them anything else.

4- I’m using the API Saltwater testing kit to test the water parameters. Last time I checked their water, everything was at low levels with a pH ranging between 8.0-8.4, they only thing that gets high is the nitrates. (I don’t remember the exact number, but it usually gets to around 5-20ppm and I change the water biweekly.) The salt level at the moment is 1.024

5- I’ve recently noticed that my little boy’s color seems to be fading and he lays around at the bottom of the tank more often. I’m not sure if this is stress from establishing dominance, but my girl seems to be bigger in size, bright in color and acting normally.

6- He only seems to be hanging out at the bottom of the tank, and opening and closing his mouth often.

7- He does swim around sometimes at the other end of the tank where my girl usually doesn’t hang around, but he mostly is around his castle (where he usually rests) and doesn’t move much. (Stays at bottom of tank)

8- I’ve never quarantined them or added anything to the water for treatment.

9- I acclimated the fish to the water by leaving them in their bag and I placed the bag into the water. I left them like that for about 15 minutes and then let them into the tank. (I now know that I could’ve done this in a better way!)

10- My tank is 20 gallons, my substrate is sand, and my filtration is aqueon 20 gallon flow. (When I do water changes, I either clean the filter by rising it off a little in the old salt water, or by putting in a new cartridge)

11- I’ve never used additives or meds in my tank.

I just want to know what’s going on- and if it’s best to just leave them alone to sort out their dominance. I’m just a little worried

Attachments

• 7031D001-C6EA-4EF1-9278-56DDCAE51B59.jpg
    7031D001-C6EA-4EF1-9278-56DDCAE51B59.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 52
  • F1B014AE-1E95-47C7-96ED-576B8A0D67FB.jpg
    F1B014AE-1E95-47C7-96ED-576B8A0D67FB.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 764F25E3-6E3C-497D-806A-0164435680B6.jpg
    764F25E3-6E3C-497D-806A-0164435680B6.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 59
  • A5FB81C7-0F77-4B51-8BA0-59CE29F1EEFA.jpg
    A5FB81C7-0F77-4B51-8BA0-59CE29F1EEFA.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 60
I’m confused how long have you had the clowns? Is it a year or you just got them? If it’s a year they should have definitely established dominance by now. Also acclimation shouldn’t matter now if you’ve had them that long. It does sound like the female is beating the male from what you’ve described though and that’s the cause for the males decline. Do they both still eat?

I’m confused how long have you had the clowns? Is it a year or you just got them? If it’s a year they should have definitely established dominance by now. Also acclimation shouldn’t matter now if you’ve had them that long. It does sound like the female is beating the male from what you’ve described though and that’s the cause for the males decline. Do they both still eat?

Yes I’ve had them for a year, and they still both eat. But I’ve noticed that sometimes when I feed them, my bigger clown tries to scare the smaller one off to take more food.

Yes I’ve had them for a year, and they still both eat. But I’ve noticed that sometimes when I feed them, my bigger clown tries to scare the smaller one off to take more food.

Add more food. If your female is bullying your male due to dominance, the last thing you want is creating an even more hostile environment if there’s not enough food. I’d also vary their diet. Get a nice varied frozen blend and put in enough to make sure both fish are being adequately fed and nourished.

Add more food. If your female is bullying your male due to dominance, the last thing you want is creating an even more hostile environment if there’s not enough food. I’d also vary their diet. Get a nice varied frozen blend and put in enough to make sure both fish are being adequately fed and nourished.

I will give that a try! Thank you very much :)

Update: My male just passed away and I removed him from the tank. I’m still not completely sure why- I checked the parameters, salinity and temperature, but there seems to be nothing out of the ordinary. He seemed fine and swimming this morning, so I’m led to believe that it was conflict with the female. : ( I can’t help but feel like I did something wrong.. not sure if this gives much info, but if anyone thinks they may know why, please let me know!!

Update: My male just passed away and I removed him from the tank. I’m still not completely sure why- I checked the parameters, salinity and temperature, but there seems to be nothing out of the ordinary. He seemed fine and swimming this morning, so I’m led to believe that it was conflict with the female. : ( I can’t help but feel like I did something wrong.. not sure if this gives much info, but if anyone thinks they may know why, please let me know!!

You didn’t do anything wrong. Clowns are mean and territorial by nature and sometimes they turn on each other. I thought my female was going to kill my male a few months ago after living peacefully for about a year. Fortunately it worked out, but sometimes it doesn’t.

If you replace him, find the smallest one you can find, it may expedite the dominance factor in the new relationship.

Good luck.

PS- I woke up to my Harptail Blenny on the floor this morning. Not trying to sleight your situation, but It’s all part of the hobby.

You didn’t do anything wrong. Clowns are mean and territorial by nature and sometimes they turn on each other. I thought my female was going to kill my male a few months ago after living peacefully for about a year. Fortunately it worked out, but sometimes it doesn’t.

If you replace him, find the smallest one you can find, it may expedite the dominance factor in the new relationship.

Good luck.

PS- I woke up to my Harptail Blenny on the floor this morning. Not trying to sleight your situation, but It’s all part of the hobby.

Thank you very much for your response, I was checking my parameters and salinity like a crazy person because I thought I was doing something wrong. I really don’t want her to be alone, so I think I will try to get her a partner. It’s good to hear that your clowns are doing well, and I’m sorry to hear about your Blenny :(

Thank you again

Back
Top Bottom